DI2C Engine number

Guest dbnz

Hi My 39 D11 Dodge has an engine number DI2C2554, The DI designation has me a bit puzzled, could somone tell me what this engine was originally out of as I suspect it is not original?

Thanks in advance.

Regards Philip

Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbnz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hi My 39 D11 Dodge has an engine number DI2C2554, The DI designation has me a bit puzzled, could somone tell me what this engine was originally out of as I suspect it is not original?

Thanks in advance.

Regards Philip

</div></div>

The D11 is the big 117" wheelbase Dodge as sold in the U.S. The D12 was the export Dodge based on the 114" wheelbase Plymouth Roadking (P7) and the "C" stands for Canada. Canadians also got the D13 based on the Plymouth DeLuxe (P8).

The D11 Dodge in the U.S. used a 217.8-cid engine with a 3.25" bore (the 23" flathead six block) while in Canada the D11 used a 218.0-cid engine with a 3.375" bore (the 25" flathead six block). The D12C also used the 25" block and 3.375" bore but with a shorter stroke for 201.1-cid. American-built D11 models used Plymouth's 201.3-cid flathead six based on the 23" block.

If the serial number on your D11 starts with a "9" you have a Canadian-built Dodge, while U.S. Dodges started with either "4" or "3". And if yours is Canadian and imported complete from Canada, it might have a plate with Model No, Body No. Trim Code and Paint Code.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Thanks Bill, The serial number is 9420170 so guess it is a Canadian built car with the incorrect engine, presumably the engine number would have been D11C....?.

The engine number has and "I" rather than "1" is that usual?

Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbnz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Thanks Bill, The serial number is 9420170 so guess it is a Canadian built car with the incorrect engine, presumably the engine number would have been D11C....?.

The engine number has and "I" rather than "1" is that usual?

</div></div>

The Canadian-built D11 (Custom Six) serial number range was from 9416686 to 9420227 for a total of 3,542 units. Your car, with number 9420170, is a late production model, just 57 units from the last one built.

Yes, the correct engine number should start with D11C. The Canadian D11 engine, 218.1-cid, put out 87 bhp, while the smaller D12/D13 engine put out 82 bhp.

Both Chrysler and Studebaker used the letter "I" for the number "1", with Studebaker using it in their serial numbers right to the end in 1966.

Bill

Vancouver, BC