'71 Stage 1 Engine

I've got a '71 GS Stage 1 convertible with 40K miles that has had a 350 replacement engine installed. I know it's a long shot, but would like to ask where I might be able to find a '71 Stage 1 replacement engine short of buying a coupe to do an engine swap. Anyone have any ideas or is it just impossible? My goal is go get the ragtop back to "numbers match" condition. Is that possible with a replacement engine from another similar car?

That is only possible if you can locate the original engine(and trans for that matter)for your car any other `71 stage one engine wd. still be the wrong one...the engine (and trans) are numbered for that car only,a different Stg1 engine wd have the right prefix but still not the right serial number....Might as well just get a 455 from another car electra etc.and build it to Stg1 specs.

I wasn't sure if the serial numbers were stamped into the block or not. I'm told that the original motor is in a hot rod custom cruiser somewhere in colorado. So it looks like I'll have to settle for second best. Thanks for the info.

• 2 years later...

doc289,<P>I too have one of the few 71 GS Stg 1 Conv., and was lucky enough to find one that is matching #, even though it is in really rough shape and needs total restoration. Did you find any of the original documentation with yours, and if I may ask, can you provide me with the VIN #, so I may see when it was produced in relation to mine. Also, what are the colors, ext. and int. and options that it has. You can e-mail me randywroten@msn.com . Thanks.