starter solenoid - which wire to which terminal on my 38?

Guest Tishabet

Guest Tishabet

Hi guys,

simple question for you today! On the top of my starter solenoid there are two "arms" coming out on the side opposite the engine and each should have a wire attached. I have two wires coming out of my wiring harness. Seems simple right?

When I review my wiring schematics, I can't tell which wire goes to which terminal. There is a sort of top terminal and bottom terninal... I'll see if I can find a pic to show you what I mean. In any case, I can't figure out which wire attaches to which "arm" and can't seem to find enough detail in my manual to show me. Any advice?

Thanks!

Guest Tishabet

Here's a good pic of the "arms" I'm talking about, there's a top one and a bottom one and I can't determine which wire goes to which! starter_new001.jpg

Guest imported_JPIndusi

The wiring diagram in the shop manual should give the color coding on the wires. If this car has the starter activated by the accelerator start switch on the carburetor, then one of the wires should go to this switch. The other likely goes to the armature terminal on the regulator or generator. If you can send me a PM with a wiring diagram for the 38 Buick I could tell you for sure. I strongly suspect that if the two wires are reversed that the system will likely function correctly as I think these terminals are only connected to a relay coil that closes a set of points to activate the main starter solenoid and hence the starter motor.

Good luck.

joe, BCA 33493

Guest OLBUICKS

Is you wiring originial? I just rewired my 38 and it has a push button on the lower left under dash... Good looking starter.. did you rebuild it? I will look at my book tonite and see what it shows... John

Guest imported_JPIndusi

After checking the wiring diagram (it is not that clear) and consulting an old Motors Manual, here is what I conclude. On the 1938 Buick, the starter is activated by stepping down on the accelerator pedal or pulling out the hand throttle. There is a linkage rod from the accelerator pedal to a vacuum switch mounted on the intake manifold. With no vacuum (engine not running) the vacuum switch is closed allowing current from the ignition switch to flow throught the vacuum switch, to the relay on the starter, then to ground through an auxiliary set of contacts on the voltage regulator. Sometimes this terminal on the regulator is marked as ground. Now when the engine starts the engine vacuum opens the vacuum switch and the starter solenoid releases, shutting down the starter circuit.

In your situation, it does not matter which of the two lighter gauge wires you connect to the two terminals you asked about because they connect to a relay coil that is insulated from the starter case. So connnect the wires either way and it should work OK.

Good luck.

Joew, BCA 33493

Guest Tishabet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPIndusi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After checking the wiring diagram (it is not that clear) and consulting an old Motors Manual, here is what I conclude. On the 1938 Buick, the starter is activated by stepping down on the accelerator pedal or pulling out the hand throttle. There is a linkage rod from the accelerator pedal to a vacuum switch mounted on the intake manifold. With no vacuum (engine not running) the vacuum switch is closed allowing current from the ignition switch to flow throught the vacuum switch, to the relay on the starter, then to ground through an auxiliary set of contacts on the voltage regulator. Sometimes this terminal on the regulator is marked as ground. Now when the engine starts the engine vacuum opens the vacuum switch and the starter solenoid releases, shutting down the starter circuit.

In your situation, it does not matter which of the two lighter gauge wires you connect to the two terminals you asked about because they connect to a relay coil that is insulated from the starter case. So connnect the wires either way and it should work OK.

Good luck.

Joew, BCA 33493 </div></div>

Ah, that is good to know... I agree with you re: the wiring diagram not being that clear!

Thanks so much for the help guys!