After Market Turn Signal Switch

Guest Dodge Deluxe

Guest Dodge Deluxe

Anyone have any experience installing an after market turn signal switch in a '39 Dodge? I have a vintage Signal-Stat 900 I am trying to wire up and I am having problems. I have the correct wiring diagram, so I know where all the wires go to, but I am not doing something right? If you are familiar with the '39 Dodge, you will note that there are small parking lights inside the headlight lens housings, as well as additional parking lamps mounted on the tops of the front fenders. I want to make the front fender top lights into turn signal lights. I would like to wire them so that they still function as parking lights when the parking lights are turned on if possible and blink when the turn signal is activated, but at the least I want them to function as turn signals and if I have to wire them to function solely as turn signals, that is fine as there are parking lights inside the headlamp housings.

When I attempted to wire them, on my first try when I turned on the left front blinker both sides flashed, as well as both parking lamps inside the headlamp housings. So I disconnected the fender lamps from the parking lamps that are inside the headlamp housings and wired the fender top lamps solely to the turn signal switch. When I activated the left front blinker, it would only just barely glow, and would not flash, same thing happened when I activated the right, just a faint glow and no flashing. Now I did not have the rear wired up yet but that should not make any difference should it? My flasher is a brand new 6v flasher so I know it is good. Has anyone wired one of these up before? How about on a '39 Dodge? Also, the rear tail/brake lamps are fed by one wire that comes from the front to the left lamp and then to the right lamp. How would you wire the rear so that they function independent right and left and not flash together? Any help appreciated!

Dan

Guest Dodge Deluxe

I've got it all wired up as per the directions, everything works but for some reason I only have one brake light? I'll be darned if I can figure out how to get power the other light. Has anyone else ever put one of these in?

Dan