Front fender assembly '33 DP

Guest DodgeKCL

Guest DodgeKCL

Although I'm restoring a '35 KCL truck I thought I'd take a stab at you guys in the car side. I'm actually using 1933 DP front fenders on my KCL. Most of the sheet metal on the 1933 HC and 1934 and '35 KCs is shared with the 1933 DP car.

My question is about the strange bolts that hold the front fenders to the frame cheek. They are missing about a 1/3 of their thread just under the head. Which means when the bolts are drawn up tight, the fenders can move about in the 'loose' area under the head.

Is there something missing like a rubber washer to crush down on the fender skirt?

• 1 month later...
Guest DodgeKCL

Thanks very much Don. I thought that whatever it was, each bolt had a single item under it's head or between the frame and fender. I never thought of a continuous strip. But that would make more sense because they would not want to play around with each individual bolt while trying to put the truck together. Sliding the bolts into a strip with holes made just a little smaller than the bolt diameter would hold all the bolts in place on the fender lip while the guy screwed them down to the frame.

It sounds like they used 'anti-squeak pad', the same stuff that was used between the body and the top of the frame. It also makes sense as to why I have none left. Anti-squeak left out in the open would have long ago rotted away. My KCL was in very tough shape when I brought it home. I have 2 types of anti-squeak in rolls so I'll see which thickness fills the void best.

Thanks again for the help..........Bob