NEW TO THE REATTA

I'VE JUST GOT A REATTA FOR MY WIFE. SHE FELL IN LOVE WITH IT I WOULD LIKE SOME MORE INFO ON THE CAR.LIKE THE OPTION CODES FOR THE 89 MODEL YEAR.WE ARE HAVING A LITTLE TROUBLE WITH THE DASH LIGHTS WILL NOT COME ON ,THE HORN WON'T WORK 'ABS LIGHT IS ON AN THE BRAKES SOME TIMES FEEL LIKE THERE NOT WORKING BUT HAVE A FIRM PEDAL. ANY HELP WOULD BE NICE.

Reatta's can be super cars. Unfortunately, they are very complex and can suffer from common problems. The problems you are experiencing with the dash lights and ABS system are common Reatta problems. The good news is a search through the last couple months of this group will provide much insight into the problems and cures of the Reatta.<P>If you purchased your Reatta from a dealer, I would return the car and get a refund, for the dealer sold you a vehicle with safety defects. If you purchased the car from an individual, now you know why they sold it.<P>I highly recommeend you get the brake system on this car repaired immediately. <P>I hate to sound negative, for out of the five Reatta's my father and I own, the brakes are fine. But the 1988-90 ABS can be a real problem. The fix can be very difficult at times and can cost $3500. The brakes are a safety issue that require your immediate attention.<P>I hope you enjoy your new Reatta.

Also, if you've got dash board indicator lights coming on (and staying on) for either the Brakes or ABS, you definitely have a problem. It could be as simple as a relay (cheap fix), or a BIG repair (switch, pump, accumulator & computer). PLEASE read through the history on this issue here at the BB (set the option to show messages from the last 6 months or so and you'll be sure to catch ALL the discussion).<P>ultimately, you picked a good time to have this problem as there are people here who now know enough to advise you in most circumstances. Diagnosing which components to replace yourself will save you the most money. I can practically guarantee that if you take this car to a dealer, they will want to replace the entire ABS for that $3000 "fix". It just seems to be beyond their knowledge level to diagnose this system. Most of those who have done incremental repairs found that the problem is NOT the entire system, plus computer.<P>I agree though, if you bought this car from a dealership, they sold it to you without working brakes and not only should you get your money back, but you should report them to the authorities!!!<P>

Damn! how many times did you test drive this car before you bought it? If it was me, the owner of the previous owner of that car would have my size 10 1/2 foot in thier ass!<P>Don't get me wrong, I've been a Reatta owner since April 1999. In that time the following has happend-<BR>1. Gear Shift Knob broke. Had to replace whole knob.<BR>2. Hubcap covers were stolen, Still have'nt got all four replacements.<BR>3. Brakes went bad. Replaced Rotars and Pads front and back. (Just to be safe)<BR>4. Front passenger side wheel bearing went bad. Had to order and replace.<BR>5. Car starting stalling without warning. After four weeks of replacing sensors (O2, Crank and Cam) testing fuel pressure and mixture, having two diagnostic tests, purchased ECM for $161.00<BR>The above does not mention the oil changes every 3 months, New belt, new plugs & wires, tire's rotated, lube job, etc......<P>These cars are not perfect, and maintenance and repairs can be trying on the nerves. But if your car is'nt running right not long after you bought. You need to take that puppy back!<P>You neglected to mention how long you've had it, how much you paid, and who you purchased it from. <P>How many owners were there before you? I can't see anyone owning one of these cars for even a breif period of time (A few years) and not going through the trials and tribulations that we all go through. And for that matter, not sharing that information with a potential buyer. <P>