Are Reattas being recalled for brakes?

I'm asking this because I have no idea. I'm not starting any rumors. I've read a lot of posts about the brakes being a problem with the Reatta.<BR>Should i be worried about my brakes? <P>I've read the posts, but I don't know the final outcome with the brake issue.

There is no "final" outcome, yet. The good news is that apparently someone has identified a source for rebuilding the ABS unit (the primary culprit in two of the most troubling problems).<P>As for a recall, that is a long way off, if it happens at all. To give you an idea of the magnitude of the problem, there are 23 reports of ABS-related failures at the Federal DOT website for customer complaints (maybe more by now). That is about the same number of complaints (relative to production size, I guess) as for other GM vehicles that have been recalled, or are under investigation. The numbers are there to ultimately result in a Reatta recall (and perhaps many other GM cars as well).<P>But that is no guarantee that it will ever happen. What to do in the meantime, is go ahead and look for a good deal on a Reatta, have the brake (and ABS) system thoroughly checked, and have it serviced at the first sign of any trouble (if ever). The VAST majority of owners never experience an ABS problem. When they occur, they are serious problems, but the chances are still better than 95% that you'll never experience a problem.<P>So, relax a bit, hope for a recall investigation to start, and then hope that GM repairs/replaces all Reatta ABS units on their dime.<P>

I already have a problem with my ABS. I'm not sure what it is yet. A message came up on my screen that there is low brake pressure detected, and something about ABS.

Check your brake fluid. If that's not the problem, you may want to have the whole system pressure tested for leaks. I'd suspect a leak around or in one of the vacuum canisters associated with the ABS if braking feels sluggish and around the wheel cylinders if it feels normal to you. Your ABS light would probably light in a leaking system anyway.<BR>Whatever it is, do not hesitate to have it fixed immediately. A simple problem like a leak could cascade into you losing your car or your life totally if left to simmer for too long.<BR>Good luck to you and I hope it's something cheap.

• 1 month later...