1929 Cadillac generator

My friend owns a 1929 Cadillac with a 341 cu. in V8 engine. The engine has a gear driven generator and water pump rather than a belt driven one as we see on most cars. We have discovered that there is a linkage between the generator shaft and the drive gear that has broken off. Our problem is that the link is made up of several layers of very hard thin pieces of metal and we cannot get the part that extends into the drive gear out to replace them. We think that there must be a pin through them but have no way to remove it. Could anyone please tell us what we have to do to get the broken end of the link out of the gear. The water pump is also connected to the front portion of this same gear. Is that also driven by the same type of link? We really are stymied about how to disassemble the drive gear.

Also, could anyone tell us where we might be able to get a shop manual that would give us instructions for removing the link and/or the drive gear. Finally, where could we find a replacement link for the generator drive. Your help is desperately needed!

Ken Ganz

• 5 months later...

Ken,

Did you and your friend solve the mystery with the generator gear? I have worked on a 1929 V8 Cadillac (before the museum, where I volunteer my mechanical services, sold it last year). Where are you folks located?

Regards,

Tom