History Channel

Yesterday the History Channel rerun the Packard special. I finaly got to tape it. I have undertaken the task of trying to tapeall thier car shows. So far I have about 12 hours worth of tape. They run the cars shows at 9:00 am eastern timeon sunday mornings. Tomorrow i will be paying a visit to the body shop and droping off the new rocker panels for the old girl.

I caught the last half hour of yesterdays's broadcast myself, but I had seen & taped the whole thing when it was first aired. As all Packard fans probably know (1) it was filmed at both the PI & PAC national meets in 1999, (2) Edward Herrmann, the narrator, also owns a 30-something Packard. My common 1955 Patrician was also at the 1999 PI meet, but didn't quite make the big screen. However, it CAN be seen in the mirror-like reflection off the side of the 1953 Carib on the end of Caribbean row. BTW, Jay Leno was at that meet handing out doughnuts to everybody (although he looked a little hung over). I don't think he had one of his Packards there, though.<p>[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: Craig LV ]

I can never remember for sure the correct year, but Ed Hermanns Packard is a 1933/1934(?) shovel-nose. He and I had quite a discussion about his car just before the parade on Sunday. He was telling everyone what he had done to the car etc. etc. and then proclaimed that it was not a show car. I am standing there looking at every nut painted, every bolt painted, not a bare piece of metal to be seen, not a stray thread any where in the upholstery and this guy is telling everyone in earshot that it is not a show car. This car would be a best of show in any local car show in the country. It may not have been a pebble beach concourse winner, but i would venture to say it would have taken a trophy in any aaca event i can think of. Needless to say I wasted no time in blasting his opinion and offered him a free entry into any show our local region ever put on. Somehow I don't think he will ever take me up on it.

For Al K -<BR>Am confused by your "post". What "shovel nose" in '33 - '34 ? Is it possible you are referring to the "one year only" "LIGHT EIGHT" made in 1932 ( one of Packard's several attempts, down thru the years, to increase production by "breaking out of" the "super luxury" class into the middle class). <P>I do agree with your comments about restorations - when we formed the judging system of the Classic Car Club Of America, our objective was that owners be encouraged to develop an awareness of the history of their particular automobile, so that its restoration would most closely follow the condition of the car as it left the delivering dealer's sales floor. I think the CCCA has always been on the "right track" in discouraging...even taking points off for "over restoration". The "top of the line" Packards were marvelous for what they were...high powered super luxury cars. They were most certainly NOT costume jewelry ! It pains me to see a car so prettied up the owner is afraid to take it out and beat the crap out of it on the highway. And it further pains me that many of the "big" Packards today are "hangar queens", in that they are restored cosmetically, but mechanically, they are "dogs". We had a fellow in the previous "chat" claim his Packard Twelve only got 7 mpg, and another fellow, who claimed he rode in it, insisted that was the way it was SUPPOSED to be. This is most unfortunate for a true appreciation of what Packard and its products were all about.

The fact is that my wife and myself hadthe privalge of riding around Warren Ohio in 1999 in Mr. Millers Packard 12. I might add that this was no short two block ride. I also have pictures to prove this.

It is amazing how changing a carburator can alter a cars performance. I have been buying WDO carbs off ebay and plan to test them out to see which one works the best on my 1942. MY120 gets about 11 mpg, nothing to cheer about, but then I don't put too much gas through it in a year.

Hi..DFiled:<P>Your "120" only gets 11 mpg? Something's wrong there. Under what driving conditions? Do you have over-drive ? Does it work ? Do you use it ?<P>A "120" is only about 280 cu. in, and a "120" car weighs only about 3,600 lbs. "Do the math". I would start with a DIFFERENTIAL ( not ordinary compression check) do it like we do in aviation - compressed air can be heard leaking, and you will know WHERE - valves or rings ) COMPRESSION TEST. Then, I'd check the spark. Gap on points and plugs ? Breaker advance ? You should be getting around 13 mpg in stop and go city driving, and at LEAST 16-18 on the open road in over-drive.<P>The "120" was a damn good for for the money. It gave excellent all around performance in its size, weight and price class. I can't imagine a "healthy" "120" doing that poorly unless you are running WIDE open ALL the time UP long grades with NO over-drive!

John - you missed my point..I accept your word that you have ridden in a Packard Twelve. What I DID question you about, and also questioned the owner ( this is from a discussion in the previous and now-failed Packard Chat ) is the MILEAGE you claim for a Packard Twelve. Sure, it is POSSIBLE to get a properly running Packard Twelve down to 7mpg...but ONLY under the most ADVERSE combination of EXTREME speed. I rather doubt if this fellow runs that thing at steady 85+ mph !.<P>In normal driving, with a STOCK rear end, I would expect to see about 9.5 in the city, and about 10.5 on the open road. ( Of course my own Twelve, with its 3.23 final drive ratio, and high compression cyl. heads, does a bit better, but that is another story).<P>Pete Hartmann