'41 Hollywood Supercharged - oil in the water & rear main leak

Guest Crahm

My newly received '41 Supercharged engine runs very well.  However, it has oil in the coolant.  The coolant looks like emulsion, meaning to me a previous owner used some kind of sealant.

I don't believe there is water in the oil.  The dipstick just had black oil on it, no whitish coloring I normally think of when looking for water in oil.  I drained the oil, but haven't poured it into clear container to see if there is water in it.

What about the supercharger?  Isn't the supercharger cooled with water?   Is there a way oil can work its way into the water from the supercharger?

Secondarily,  the rear main leaks as if there is no rear seal.  Five minutes of running and I have a 4" puddle of oil.  Hints on the best way to approach this leak?

Many thanks for your thoughts,

Charles

Dallas, TX

Edited by Crahm (see edit history)

Guest Crahm

I spoke to the previous owner who told me the mechanic installed coolant sealer, I assume Barr's, in the coolant because the water pump was dripping.

The car has basically sat for 8 or 9 years.  The coolant does look like an emulsion, which does cross my mind as a sealer as it can look nasty, oily and messy in the coolant.

Edited by Crahm (see edit history)