1930 packard 733 r/s coupe

when i purchased this packard the past owner provided me with a pair of welled fenders and atachments to convert to side mounts. after contacting coker tire to replace the lester 600/650 20 with a firestone 650 20 they informed me the tire i selected was correct in size but may not fit the wells properly. from some few publications i have i notice the delux cars with side mounts use 7.00/19 am i wasting time trying this conversion or will a 6.00/20 fit wells amd mounts? any help would save time and $$ confused.gif" border="0

Bill P. Thanx for the reply on 733 R/S Coupe. I agree with you on switching to a 19 in. wheel from a 20 in. The 20 in. wheel will stand taller in the wells and call for relocating the holes in the frame and side pannels for the mounts to reach on center of the rim. According to my packard book by George H. Dammann& James A. Wren the 6.50 20 is the standard eight wheel other then the 726 sedan wore 6.00 20. Also the book reads it doesn't look as though you could get side mounts on standard eights, but I figured most auto makers at that time would do what ever the customer would pay for.After reading your comment about door clearence I think Ill mock it up to check the swing. By the way look up <A HREF="http://www.seawind.net" TARGET=_blank>www.seawind.net</A> and that is the anphib. Thank you again Dave C. wink.gif" border="0

It sounds like you have Lester 6.00/6.50-20 inch tires on the car now (?). And your question is will 6.50-20's fit in the fender wells. How do the existing Lester's fit in the wells? If they're tight they'll be tight with the new tires. <BR>A brief look through my books does not reveal what the OEM wheel/tire size is on a 733. <BR>If it was originally 19 inch converted to 20, and the fenders are made for the 19 inch wheel/tires, it seems like you'll need to find a half-dozen 19 inch wheels and buy the smaller tires to match. <BR>Another occasional problem was that certain body styles could not use side mounts due to fouling of the door on the spare.<BR>What type amphibian?<p>[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: BillP ]