1935 Ford light Switch

Guest Dick77

Guest Commodore

It does not matter which wire goes to which terminal on the switch. Generally, on two terminal ON/OFF switches like brake light switches it does not matter. On switches with more then two wires and more complicated switches like headlight switches it does matter.

yb.jpg

Guest Dick77

I must not have made myself clear what I am looking for is the wiring of the 1935 Ford pickup light switch wiring that attaches to the bottom of the steering column. I have the overall light schematic but I need the switch itself wiring diagram.

Guest Commodore

Mmm....A failure to communicate. Ok I am hearing that 1935 - 1936 Ford pickup and car headlight wiring is the same. If that is the case, does the following do you good.

Wiring Diagram - showing the actual path of wiring

Flathead_Electrical_wirediagram1936car.jpg

Wiring Schematic - showing the electrical path and connections

Flathead_Electrical_wiring1935.jpg

Guest Dick77

Thanks for the information. I have all of this but thanks anyway what I need as I stated is the wiring of the plug you see in the center bottom of the picture called the lighting switch. It has a index indentation on the Bakelite wafer to which the contacts are attached which is not showed on the diagram and it is hard to tell if you are looking at the front or the back of the switch. I need to know which contacts which wire goes on, I have two old ones that are wired one way and a new one that I ordered. The new one is 180 degrees different than the old ones. Therefore the reason for needing to know the correct pin location so I can rewire the new one. Most of the color codes on the old ones cannot be read. Also some of the color codes on the above schematic do not appear in either of the the plugs.

Guest Commodore

OK after studying this, I think this is the way it works.

1. The spyder or wiper that connects to the control rod that goes to the up to steering wheel is triangle shaped and has three contacts which touch the brass buttons on the bakelite wiring disc.

2. The bakelite wiring disc has the nine brass buttons arranged in groups of three. On two of the groups, the three brass buttons are connected together. The third group the brass buttons are electricly separated.

If the above is true you can wire the switch this way. Connect the switch assembly to the bottom of the steering column.

1. Rotate the light switch to the Off position. The spyder or wiper should not be touching any of the brass buttons.

2. Rotate the light switch to the Park position. The brass button in the separate group the spyder or wiper is touching is Park contact. Wire the Park wires to it. The other two contacts on the spyder or wiper should be touching the two connected groups of brass buttons. Select one group to be the Battery and wire the Battery wires to it. Wire the Taillight wires to the other group. It does not matter which one you pick.

3. Rotate the light switch to the Low Beam position. The brass button in the separate group the spyder or wiper is touching is Low Beam contact. Wire the Low Beam wires to it.

4. Rotate the light switch to the Hi Beam position. The brass button in the separate group the spyder or wiper is touching is Hi Beam contact. Wire the Hi Beam wires to it.

This may not be how Ford wired it, but it should work.

Guest Dick77

Thanks for the information looks good. I did find out that the key way on the bakelight switch is at the BB wire that goes to the instrument lights switch and you are looking at the wire connection side of the switch.

Guest Dick77

From what I found out the two wires that go to the tail lights are interchangeable. The black one and the green one. Vuintage Ford in Sacramento Ca where I get a bunch of my parts beings they are local I found out build the harnesses and they also have all of the parts that go to the switch including the unwired bakelite switch wafer.

Guest Commodore

The green (G) wire is suppose be the Battery connection per the Wiring Schematic. These two wires are on each side of the BB wire per the Wiring Schematic. This would enable you orientate the disc per the Wiring Schematic.