1948 Pontiac 6 distributor question

Guest mikes48pont

Guest mikes48pont

I recently purchased a distributor breaker plate for my Pontiac. When it arrived it was the replacement for the original ball bearing plate that my Pontiac has. It seems to use a molded bearing rather than the original ball bearings. The flanges that stick up are flat rather than cradled (like my orignal one) to hold a ball bearing. Question: does anyone know where I can find the molded bearings that fit into the ball track on my distributor? Are there other Pontiac distributors that use this design?

Thanks,

Mike

can you post a picture of the differences?

In the shop manual (if you have it) the dist. number is indicated, it maybe not the good one you had in your engine.

Now you maybe found the right one.

good luck.

Fitz.

Guest mikes48pont

The molded bearings from the '39 work great in my distributor. It's running real well. Now to figure out why I don't have brake lights. How do you post photos?

Mike

for photos, I think you have to hit the "manage attachments" button , after look for picture in you PC.

You will have to reduce (maybe) the size of your picture if they are to heavy.

Fitz.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mikes48pont

Hi Fritz,

Yes, it's hard to see the difference. The one on the left is the ball bearing type. There are bearings at 12 o'clock and one at 8 o'clock. The one at 4 o'clock is missing and that's why I had to replace the breaker plate.

The photo on the right is the molded type bearing and you can see one installed at the top left and one at the bottom and there is one more that I hadn't installed when I took the photo.

With the new breaker plate and molded bearings the car is running fine now.

Well, I say that but about 10 years ago I installed an Edmunds dual intake manifold and then parked the car. Now that I am getting it running again I'm finding I have an exhaust leak underneath the the manifold that I have to figure out how to plug up.

Mike

thank you for the explanation.

For your exhaust leak, the exhaust manifold are prone to break mostly at the same place, at the 90degree angle under the intake heat riser box. Or beside the gasket between the intake and exhaust. It's the same for you?

I had success with a welded repair.

Fitz.