1956 Dodge id numbers decifer

Guest Tom P

Guest Tom P

Hi,I purchased a 1956 Dodge ,2rd,coronet,and would like to know what the id numbers translate? the cowl tag #`s read...schedule,01 11 19 019,--body,812,--paint,165,--trim,--529,.the door pillar# is 35068232. is this a special body style ,cause the front seat is solid across ,like a 4dr ,is this body style called a special club coupe? Thank You to all that help.is there a book or some way of finding this info out?

Guest Bob Call

Tom

When you say the seat is solid across, do you mean the seat back is not split and doesn't hinge for access to the back seat? If so, someone has put a four door seat in the car.

The number on the left door pillar is the serial or VIN number of the car. It is my understanding that this number is also on the right rear of the frame near the rear axle.

The numbers on the cowl tag indicate the body type, paint color, trim color. Hopefully someone will tell us where to find these codes.

Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom P</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi,I purchased a 1956 Dodge ,2rd,coronet,and would like to know what the id numbers translate? the cowl tag #`s read...schedule,01 11 19 019,--body,812,--paint,165,--trim,--529,.the door pillar# is 35068232. is this a special body style ,cause the front seat is solid across ,like a 4dr ,is this body style called a special club coupe? Thank You to all that help.is there a book or some way of finding this info out? </div></div>

The serial number, 35068232, falls in the range 34972001 to 35167854, which is for model D63 built at Hamtamck, MI. There were three series in the D63 range -

D63-1 - Coronet V8

D63-2 - Royal V8

D63-3 - Custom Royal V8.

A total of 195,854 D63 models were built at Hamtramck. Your car was the 96,232nd built.

All the paint codes I have for the 1956 Dodge start with "5" and no "165". There is a "565" which is Jade Green Metallic over Sea Foam Green.

I suspect the "01 11" is for the scheduled build date - January 11 (1956).

As for the BODY, the "1" is for Coronet and "2" for club (2-door) sedan.

Do not have any info on the interior trim.

As for the front seat, a lot can happen to a car over a 50 year period. I suspect someone has replaced the original split front seat with a unit from a 4-door sedan.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Guest Tom P

Hi,Bill,Thank You For the Help Again,You are a true scholar!!! sorry i must a forgot the trim number; it is 529 then a space or so and the letters SP are there. i also noticed at the top of the cowl tag letters spaced as such, WL AC A SC 8S or BS B is this anything.Bill Thanks again for the help (56 Chrysler Windsor,65 Canadian Barracuda now this): I also would like to Thank Bob for the first reply,and to all that help me with this identification problem!!!

• 8 years later...
Guest Gary Groff

I have a 1956 dodge coronet D-500.  I was told that my car was an x police car. BLT date 05-08-31-016 body 812, paint 01 trim 528 and SP-2.  can someone help me decode the body tag

Thanks  I am new to the forum  Gary