??? Installing Air Ride Suspension on 64 Riviera???

DirtyDan

First off... I understand that a good percentage of this board is dedicated to preserving these cars and keeping them as original as possible, But there has to be someone here who has installed air bags on a first gen Riv.

I have had a few cars in the past with airbags and I really liked the adjustable suspension and it gave an awesome ride. I recently finished my 64 Riv and I wanted it lower so I just cut a coil out of the springs. It looks great but rides terrible and bottoms out on hard bumps. I have decided to go ahead and install airbags so that I can still have my low stance and have the great ride a Riviera should have.

My questions involve the bracketry needed for a Riv. I am planning on using a system made by airlift that comes with everything except bracketry and shocks. I do not see any companies that sell prefabbed cups for the air spring. I know Air Ride Tech sells the "Shockwave" for this application, but I want to stay with standard bags and out board the shocks on the front. If anyone has any tips or measurements for how to build the cups, or where to outboard the front shocks, please let me know. Or if you have any pics, please send them my way.

Thanks,

Dan

danbenck@hotmail.com

CIMG2423.jpg

Guest REX STALLION

I was pondering the same thing. The Shockwave system seemed to be the easiest way to go but I would like to see someother options. By the way, your car looks great!!

Guest Gee_Rydes

My 2 cents...The right springs is the answer

If you get a set of custom progressive springs and shocks, you get the look full time plus you get a very good ride. I have 3 inch dropped springs from Jamco on my 71 Boat and not only does it look awesome, but it rides VERY nice. Now if you hit a deep hole, yes you will feel it, but normal driving is very nice. I rebuilt the entire front end at the same time. Very important when dropping a car to make sure that you loosen the bushing bolts and retighten them at the new sitting height so there is not unecessary tension on them. On an airbag car, you will be twisting those bushings more and for longer periods of time than they were designed for. I have 20's on a 3 inch dropped car and I have ZERO tire rubbing unless I am just plain being stupid.

If the car is set up right (right wheel offset, right overall diameter, right suspension height, etc), you can get the right look and a fully functional and enjoyable car.

Now if you want you car down in the weeds so the front wheels can't turn, you have no choice but to go with an adjustable suspension.

Who needs all that extra stuff to break and room in the trunk taken up? Plus, air-ride is sloshy in my opinion.

Okay, I'm done now

Guest lvrpool32

Speak to Vito at VT Kustoms, I used their kit on my 64, great kit, simple installs. Bags and brackets where only $680. Another $500 for the controls.

Nick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lvrpool32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speak to Vito at VT Kustoms, I used their kit on my 64, great kit, simple installs. Bags and brackets where only $680. Another $500 for the controls.

Nick </div></div>

Nick, does your car have the front shocks mounted out board? I have seen alot of "pro" installs that did not include the front shocks. If you have any pics available, it would be a BIG help.

Thanks in advance

Dan

danbenck@hotmail.com

Guest musclecarfan65

hi dan. an airride system was installed on my first 65 rivi. to be honest i was extremly "disapointed" with the ride quality. not only was the system leaking but it was also squishy (compared to crisp handling). i do not know what supplier the pre-owners used for their system ... but i do know that they modified the frame to make room for the bags and had the front shock absorbers moved to a different location than original intended by buick. i will never ever again buy a car with fancy suspension gimmicks. dan, if you need pictures on the shock absorber positioning or the frame modification just send me a PM. BR, dirk.

Guest lvrpool32

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lvrpool32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speak to Vito at VT Kustoms, I used their kit on my 64, great kit, simple installs. Bags and brackets where only $680. Another $500 for the controls.

Nick </div></div>

Nick, does your car have the front shocks mounted out board? I have seen alot of "pro" installs that did not include the front shocks. If you have any pics available, it would be a BIG help.

Thanks in advance

Dan

danbenck@hotmail.com </div></div>

Mine came without the shocks. I am in the process of doing that now, its pretty simple as the "outboard" shcok idea was used a lot in Chevy pick ups and stuff, so i sourced the mounts from the truck suppliers, but even without the shocks the ride is nice.