oil filter to engine adapter broken

Guest musclecarfan65

Guest musclecarfan65

hi riviera friends. my newly bought 65 riviera lost lots of oil during driving. as you can see on the attached (blurry) picture the adapter between the engine block and the oil filter is broken in two pieces ... i assume too much stress on the part due to high torque of the fixing screws and the pre-owner hastly sealed a crack(?).

my questions are:

1) i intend to completely clean both parts and glue them together. what is the recommended torque of the 3 screws (please in Nm if possible).

2) i intend to buy a new / NOS part. any source for this item apart from wheatbelt antique?

3) does anyone reproduce this part out of more sturdy material than the stock aluminium (or die) cast?

thanks very much for your support and (hopefully) answers,

dirk.

post-52394-143137984881_thumb.jpg

Guest Gee_Rydes

Dirk, I also had a broken one not too long ago. I would not attempt a repair personally. I have seen them on ebay or in my case, I bought another used one.

Guest musclecarfan65

thanks for the recommendation. i am already trying to get at least 2 spare oil filter adapters offered on ebay by buickrodder. received the link on the V8buick forum.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest musclecarfan65

just received the 3 oil filter adapters (ordered from russ martin ... beamed with warp-speed, scotty) from customs ... 2 of them look different than the one i had on my car which broke. the area around the lowest screw is much thicker and looks surdier than on the old one. it seems that they modified the adaptor ... for reasons unknown. i assume that buick had some complains about broken adaptors in cases too much torque is applied to the screw ... much makes the soft material bend or break. but now that it is thicker in areas where the old on cracked i hope that the engine will leak no oil anymore ... at least i have now 3 of them to make try-outs :-).

Guest musclecarfan65

these are the different oil filter adapters. the red circled area is the "weak" spot where my old adapter cracked first.

post-52394-143137986603_thumb.jpg