Serial Numbers

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Originally, the VIN was the same as the engine number. The engine number is located on the left side of the engine block just below the head. When Ford put the engine in the chassis, the assembly line workers stamped this number on the top side of the left frame rail just to the rear of the rear motor mount. Then they put the body on the chassis and covered the number on the frame so it wasn't seen again until the body-off restoration. <P>If your car has the original engine, you can get the number off of the block. If the engine has been swapped, it may depend on your state's DMV what they consider the VIN to be. I think most states allow the engine number to be used.

Thanks Hal, I appreciate the info on locating the serial number. We still can't find it, but it was good information to go by.<P>Doug

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

You won't see the number on the frame unless the body is removed. Even then, it may take some cleanup work to see it. Mine was mighty rusty. It took a bit of wire brush work to make it legible.<P>The engine number should be visible, though. If your engine is greasy and dirty, you'll have to clean it up, but you should be able to find it. It is on the left side of the engine block just above the water inlet fitting (The fitting where the water comes back into the engine from the lower radiator hose.). It is just below the joint between the head and the block. There should be a smooth slightly raised place in the casting of the block that is maybe 3/4" wide x 3" or 4" long. The number is stamped into this area.