Fixing rear air shocks on a 1983 Riv convert

Guest northerlynasher

Guest northerlynasher

I have an '83 Riv convertible. The rear air shocks work if I ground a test wire that appears off of the compressor under the hood. I assume its a test wire as I see no other plug missing a wire in range of the compressor The shocks go up but don't shut off until I release the ground. Any ideas as to how to fix the system so it works properly. Someone must have a logical check system to check these systems on the '79 - 85 Rivs. Thanks

Guest merrillcrosbie
I have an '83 Riv convertible. The rear air shocks work if I ground a test wire that appears off of the compressor under the hood. I assume its a test wire as I see no other plug missing a wire in range of the compressor The shocks go up but don't shut off until I release the ground. Any ideas as to how to fix the system so it works properly. Someone must have a logical check system to check these systems on the '79 - 85 Rivs. Thanks

Two possibilities. First and easiest, check the fuse. Do you have schematic of the fusebox under the dash by the steering column? It is an easy fuse to check and replace. I have had this fuse fail several times over the years usually when the trunk is heavily loaded.

Second is tougher. There is a relay in that same fusebox for the compressor. Shorting out the compressor to pump up the shocks bypasses this relay as you have done. The relay is just a plug in so it is easily replaced...if you can find one. Mine failed several years ago and finding a new one was really difficult. I got help from the ROA on this, but when I finally found a new relay it was hugely expensive. Back when these cars were new these relays cost about $6. I paid over $100 for a NOS relay, and that has been over 10 years ago.

So, check your fuse first. If it isn't blown, try to find a new relay. At least it sounds like your compressor and shocks are working.