Spark plugs

Guest george1861

Guest Mc_Reatta

Good....copper

Better...platinum

Best.....iridium

Electrode number, size, and shape make a difference too, but some of it is hype.

Some of the latest greatest plugs used in 3.8 L variants may be a little long for older ones. Check first.

Guest Mc_Reatta

After some new research, I don't think it matters anymore. Apparently back in 88 the recommended plug was the ACDelco Rapidfire #3 pre-gapped to 0.45 in.

By the end of the run and changes in the design and materials in the rapidfires, the ACDelco Rapidfire #14 gapped to 0.60 in for all 4 years regardless the use of Magnavox ICMs on 88-90 and Delco in 91.

Looking at many FLAPS sites, rapidfire 14s are recommended for all and none of them even carry the #3s anymore. Also the 14s apparently aren't double platinum anymore like they were for a time.

So I'd recommend on the low end NGK G Power or the even cheaper V Power. ~$3

Middle range NGK or ACDelco double platinum, or Rapidfire #14

Top end NGK, ACDelco, or Bosch iridium, of which only the Bosch is double iridium.The other two, while maybe better plugs, are iridium / platinum designs.

There aren't many reviews for any of the iridiums yet as they haven't been in use long enough to get much feedback, and at ~$10 a pop, I don't think that many folks are getting them for vintage cars that really don't need that level of performance.

Hard to justify anything better than a good double platinum 100K mile plug for <$7..

Edited by Mc_Reatta (see edit history)

Guest Corvanti

George: i have 3 new AC DELCO #14 platinum plugs leftover from a couple of projects. you can have them for postage cost (i would think it would be around $2 or less, unless you want them faster).

i can do paypal, or accept a check. PM me if interested.

i took one out of the box for the pic:

post-73703-14314265713_thumb.jpg