For Sale: SAE Handbook, Volume I, 1920-1922, very nice

Guest Stephen_H_in_Ohio

Guest Stephen_H_in_Ohio

For sale is a spiral bound booklet of about 220 sheets (440 pages) forming the1920-1922 Society of Automotive Engineers (S.A.E.) Volume I Handbook. Each of the many pages is dated, so that they could be updated appropriately, as directed periodically by the S.A.E. The handbook provides detailed established standards and recommended practices that were to be used by the automotive companies to insure that consistent, quality standards were used to enhance the engineering reliability of the vehicles. In 1916-1917, many diverse organizations who dealt with automotive/motor/vehicular issues made the S.A.E. the ‘recognized body for engineering standardization work in the respective automotive and power unit fields.’ Some ended up discontinuing,with the members joining into the S.A.E. These organizations included:

• American Society of Aeronautic Engineers (discontinued)
  • Natural Gas Engine Association (later named the Gas Engine and Farm Power Association)
  • National Association of Engine and Boat Manufacturers
  • Society of Tractor Engineers (discontinued)
  • Motor and Accessory Manufacturers Association
  • Manufacturers Aircraft Association

The S.A.E. conducted extensive work to enhance the engineering-related automotive components. These were compiled into the S.A.E. Handbook, Volume I, which was published in October 1920. Volume I was updated for two years by dated update sheets being distributed to S.A.E. members, with those sheets designed to replace specified earlier sheets. Volume II compiled all of the previous data – including the updates – into an updated Handbook. The volume at hand is entirely Volume I, which has been updated in accordance withthe S.A.E. standards. The pages are all dated (to help the users keep the volumes organized and up-to-date). This copy of Volume I includes pages dated October 1920, March 1921, July 1921, and August 1922. Page numbers are by section, with letters added after the numbers when the content of particular pages expanded in the updates. For example, the original Page C33 was updated in March 1921 to pages C33, C33a, C33b, C33c, and C33d.

The Handbook contains 10 sequential sections, covering a range of automotive engineering attributes of vehicles. These are the following.

• Section A: Powerplant Standards and Recommended Practices
  • Section B: Electrical Equipment Standards and Recommended Practices
  • Section C: Parts and Fittings Standards and Recommended Practices
  • Section D: Material Standards and Recommended Practices
  • Section E: Transmission Standards and Recommended Practices
  • Section F: Axle and Wheel Standards and Recommended Practices
  • Section G: Tire and Rim Standards and Recommended Practices
  • Section H: Frame and Spring Standards and Recommended Practices
  • Section J: Control Standards and Recommended Practices
  • Section K: General Standards and Recommended Practices

Section K is followed by a fairly detailed Index.

This copy was owned by H. E. Borger (see photo of front cover). Mr. Borger was a member of S.A.E. for anumber of years, becoming a member no later than 1916. He was an electrical engineer who worked for Apple Electric Company, <st1:address w:st="on"><st1:street w:st="on">112 Mapes Avenue</st1:street>, <st1:city w:st="on">Newark</st1:city>, <st1:state w:st="on">New Jersey</st1:state></st1:address>. Apple Electric developed and marketed automotive and motor boat lighting and starting systems, along with batteries. Volume I (such as this copy) was published as a 3-ring binder document with a pliable leather cover, and title information stamped on the cover (see photo). The 3-ring binder format was used so that as the standards were enhanced, the update pages were readily inserted into the binder, replacing the outdated pages. As noted above, these updates were distributed for Volume I three times. The binder on this volume is in decent condition, except that it is starting to crack. The binding extends beyond the pages some; in those areas, the upper part of the binding is missing from parts of the front cover. The approximately 220 sheets (440 pages) are all in very nice condition, with a touch of yellowing from age. At the front and back there are thick black cardstock end pages. The back one is fine, but the front one is mailing taped (since it was falling apart). As a whole, this is a very uncommon, superiorpiece.

Iwant to sell this great book soon, but have no good knowledge of its value. I would appreciate guidance on that, and/or offers. Thanks! I have just listed this on eBay; search for basic title to find it.

post-102089-143142638184_thumb.jpg

post-102089-143142638211_thumb.jpg

post-102089-143142638235_thumb.jpg

post-102089-143142638264_thumb.jpg

post-102089-143142638299_thumb.jpg

post-102089-143142638334_thumb.jpg

post-102089-143142638359_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stephen_H_in_Ohio (see edit history)