WHAT TOP IS THIS ?

Guest Joe Altieri

Guest Joe Altieri

I have been running a query in the general discussion section for several days and thought I would try this section. I have a top frame which looks somewhat like a '31 Ford Deluxe or '32 Ford roadster top ... but it is not either. Can you help identify it? It would be greatly appreciated

The top header is about 49 1/8"

Hole spacing (center to center) 46 1/4"

Spacing between bows is about 18"

The measure from the back of the back bow to the front of the header is about 41 1/3"

The header is approximately 2 1/8" wide

** I think the shape of the iron and the pivot on the main support would be the most identifiable piece on the framework. Hopefully you can clearly see this.

Thanks.

Joe Altieri

josephaltieri@att.net

post-99936-143142446423_thumb.jpg

post-99936-14314244644_thumb.jpg

post-99936-143142446458_thumb.jpg

Guest Joe Altieri

Hi Mike.

Well I wish we could nail it down. In some of my other posts I have mentioned the history. The fellow that I got it from has been carting it around for 35 years. When he bought a '32 roadster, it had a "carson top" on it. The guy from whom he bought the car handed him this top and indicated it was a top for his car. Well, according to other comments, it looks similar to a '32 or a deluxe '31 but no one seems to be able to verify its' origin. The corner blocks at the header are fabricated, not cast. This may have been to adapt a '32 to another car, or another top to a '32. Not ever owning a Ford roadster, I am clueless. (According to my wife of 52 years, that is not the only thing about which I am clueless!) It seems to me that the tell tale part is the pivot point on the rear bow. It is curved and tapered. Someone MUST be able to ID that ... hopefully .

Keep me in the loop if you or your buddies can figure it out.

Thanks.

joe

Edited by Joe Altieri
correct spelling! (see edit history)

Guest mikeburch

I believe that you have a married top. I think that the rear portion is Ford, but the header, is something else.

mikeburch

Guest Joe Altieri
I believe that you have a married top. I think that the rear portion is Ford, but the header, is something else.

mikeburch

Thanks Mike. I think you could be on the money. The corner block looks to be fabricated not cast, and the width of the header seems to be rather small.

I hope we can ID it so that someone out there can put it to good use.

joe