53 Windows and interior

Guest 53 Roady

Guest 53 Roady

I started unloading the Roady's trunk today. The interior had been disassembled with some care in 1986 judging from the newspapers. Some parts have masking tape labels. Some are extras from other cars. The windows appeared to have had the frames poorly rechromed but have "new" glass. I need good drawings. I bought the 49 Fisher Body manual from Bob and it has some info but is not a great copy. I did not get the Riviera supplement because he said it was a poor copy. I am wondering if there is a parts catalog with exploded drawings. Also is it possible that Cadillac or Olds released good C body diagrams. I got a new armature for the hydro pump and have it making 260 lbs. The hydro literature I have is OK. It's the tracks,garnishes, and weatherstrips that are most baffling. Any help would be appreciated.

Pat

Guest martylum

Hi Pat-I'm restoring a 53 Roadmaster convertible and just finished putting new glass in rechromed door and 1/4 window frames. There are certain advantages during reassembly if you've taken these items apart. If the glass is already mounted in the window frames frames you have a good head start. If the glasses are labeled as to which side they go in that helps too.

As to mounting the glasses in the doors and 1/4s there's not much help in the shop manual for 1953 models but the 52 shop manual has lots more pages on windows and other installation procedures.

E-mail me at marty@oldercar.com with specific questions.

Maarty Lum

1953 Buick Model 76X

Guest 53 Roady

Thanks Maarty. My glass is framed and I have the 52 manual. Does someone sell a kit with the weatherstrip rubber, fuzzy channel and so forth?

There is a 1949 "Service and Construction Manual" for the Cad, Olds, and Buick Sport Coupes. Is this likely to be helpful and if so who sells a good copy?

Pat

Edited by 53 Roady (see edit history)

Guest martylum

Pat-Restoration Specialty in the state of PA stocks a wide variety of glass channels, beltline moldings, and hardware to install. Best to order one of their catalogs as they have many useful items in the hardware line for old cars. I just finished installing all new window channels and beltline moldings using parts from their stock. I've ordered from them for 30 years.

They have the small green clips used to hold the beltline moldings to the outer side of the doors and 1/4 panels.

Marty Lum

53 Buick Model 76X