Which Car Battery For Replica 1952 MG TD on VW Frame

Guest z0ned

Guest z0ned

Hi Guys

I have been given a replica 1952 MG TD built on a VW frame and with a VW 1600 engine. The car does not currently have a battery. As I know next to nothing about motors, I was hoping someone could tell how to determine what type of car battery I should buy for this vehicle.

Many thanks in advance.

Matt.

Matt, I would just measure the battery box and make a note of how the negative/positive posts are orientated. You want to make sure the posts are in the same position as the cables so you do not either have to cross them or stretch them across the battery. And of course, you will need a 12 volt battery. If your car is a driver then I probably would head to Advanced Auto or similar and pick up a battery. Probably will cost you less than $100 for a quality piece.

Post a pic of your new ride too.

Guest z0ned

Thanks so much John! I thought it might need a special type of battery and am pleased to hear that's not the case! I have attached a couple of photos of the new ride.

Thanks again!

Matt.

post-99652-143142425176_thumb.jpg

post-99652-143142425173_thumb.jpg

Matt, nice ride. Let us know how the first start up goes. If it has been awhile since it has run, I would pull the spark cable from the coil and crank it until you have oil pressure. You want to make sure that the engine has oil flowing before you attempt to run it. Also how is the fuel? What goes it smell like? If it does not smell like fuel you may have to drain the tank and the fuel lines and get new fuel in it. Change the fuel filter too. For sure you carb bowl is probably empty from the evaporation of the fuel. You may have to dribble some fuel into the carb to get it to fire. Have a fire extinguisher handy and do not look into the carb as you dribble it in, keep at arms length. Keep us posted and let us know if you have been able to get it running.

Guest z0ned

Wow! This just got a whole lot more complicated than just changing the battery!!

Thanks for all the information John, it really is much appreciated. I will try to follow your tips but honestly if it comes to "having a fire extinguisher handy" I will probably just take it the shop! :)

Thanks again

Matt.

Matt, re the extinguisher. It is just a good habit to get into when you are around gasoline. When you are dribbling fuel into a carb, it could backfire and shoot a bit of fire back through the carb, that is why you do not want your face over the carb. Just a little fuel will do it. Save your money and do it yourself. It is not that hard or dangerous. You just have to use some common sense.