1967 Barracuda with a 1978 360LA and MSD

Guest Crispan

I have a 1967 Barracuda that is in rough shape, but is still fun. It is registered and on the road :cool:! I have a couple of issues that I am searching for solutions to. Here goes.

First, it has a 1978 360 with an Edelbrock 1406 2583 carburetor. The only vacuum line goes to the distributor. A carburetor guru told me the engine wants PCV. He suggested I get new oil filler caps with PCV ports, and hook it up to the big vacuum port on the front of the carburetor. Then adjust the timing and carburetor. Where can I get the PCV oil filler caps?

He also said the carburetor is junk and I would be better off with a summit carburetor. Junk? Not junk?

I notice the vacuum advance to the distributor is hooked up on the passenger side, which I thought was for smog equipment setups. I wonder if it should be on the driver's side port instead? It idles slow cold and fast warm.

Race Boy (the former owner) removed the wiper motor (you don't need wipers to drag race). I found one on a 1967 Valiant that works when we jumper a car battery to the wiring plug. Unfortunately, Race Boy removed the dash and wiper switch (you don't need a dash to drag race). I got the dash he took out, but no wiper switch. Anybody know where I can find such a switch? The rain is coming.

Finally, Race Boy installed a MSD ignition controller with no part number, a MSD Timing Computer PN 8980, and a MSD Tach Adaptor PN 8920. The violet and green wires on the ignition controller are not used and the white wire is hooked up, indicating it is controlled not by magnetic pickup, but by points, electronic ignition amp, or the yellow wire on a MSD accessory (Like the MSD Timing Computer 8980?). But if that is true, shouldn't it have the 8910 Tach Adaptor instead of the 8920 Tach Adaptor? I don't have a tachometer anyway. Also, my coil seems to be wired right into my ballast resistor, which I understand should be bypassed with the MSD system.

Any thoughts on how I can get this to run best or where to find the rare parts I need to finish this project are appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...