HELP!Gyro-Matic problem, Wont up-shift.

I am a new member and I am looking for help solving my automatic trans. problem.Its a 1952 dodge coronet. I just got the car a month ago. The first time i drove it, i started in low range, let off the gas pedal, it upshifted, then as i picked up speed, using the clutch, i shifted to high, and repeated the same as before. basically using "1st,2nd,3rd,and 4th gear". After reading some forum posts I learned that you start out in high range for most driving. Here is the problem.I drove the car on its first "long" trip, about 60 miles,and it started out fine, but here is the problem. During the drive it got hard to shift, I was driving using high and low, And I eventually only had top gear in low and high range.The trans wasnt down shifting. The next morning I went to drive the car and I only have low gear in both high and low range "1st and 3rd". I checked the fluid, thats full, I removed the top part of the governer, there is some trans. fluid present inside. I dried the points off and cleaned them, reinstalled, and still no solution. Any help would be appreciated.

I will also note the carb is not the stromberg, it has been replaced with a carter ball and ball. so the wire curcuit to the carb has been bypassed becuase of no anti-stall control and no and solonoid on carb. I realize this is not the right set up, but it was on the car when purchased.I am getting the corect carb soon, but I am pretty sure thats not the problem.Again, any help would be helpful. Thank you.

VJ:

Sorry it's take me a little while to get back to you, but I've had a log-on problem with this forum and had to ask the administrator for help.

Most likely you have a very simple problem. You idle speed is simply too high. When you let off the gas for it to shift, the engine must slow down enough for the gears to synchromize, but if the idle is too high, it won't. Drop your idle speed, and that will probably take care of your upshift problem. The fact that it work OK when it was cold is one of the clues becasue the engine idles faster when it warms up. Also, install a fresh throttle spring so the throttle closes as it should.

Don't worry about replacing the carburetor. As long as it has the electrical components on it for the automatic transmission, the Carter BB will work fine. Only the Dodges had the Strombergs. Chrysler, DeSoto, and Plymouth all used the Carter BB.

As for the down shift not working, you probably need a rewire job for the transmission. It's really easy, and I can e-mail you the schematic if you post your e-mail address.

JON

Jon-

Thanks for responding. I will try the solutions you recommended. Is the carter carb ok on the car if it doesn't have the anti stall control or the kick down switch? does that mess up the trans if that part of the system bypassed? and as far as the govornor, when I remove the cap to inspect the points, a lot of tranny fluid is present in the govornor and on the points. Is that normal or is there a seal to keep oil out? Thank you for your help. My E mail is Aynscait@aol.com if you could send the wiring diagram the would be great.

I just printed the entire manual, and am I glad to see it . Looks like i am sitting down tonight to read it. I am thankful for this sight and the fellow automobile enthusiasts that dont mind helping others. Its nice to know people still want to help others by passing on knowledge. Thank you.

- Vintage Jalopy

• 8 years later...
Guest 49coronet

Vintage Jalopy did you find an answer to your problem? also how did they bypass the carb and make it work ? I have a similar problem with my 49 dodge coronet.