1927 Chrysler rear wheel hubs *DELETED* *DELETED*

• 3 weeks later...
Guest imported_24Chry48

Do you still need to get those wheels off? Are they on the car yet or do you have a rear axle off a car? If the axle is still under a chassis it's easier. Remove the center axle nut and replace with a similar nut that you don't mind pounding on. Install the replacement nut on the threads far enough to cover most of the internal threads and with the axle shaft not sticking out further than the outside edge of the nut. Jack the opposite side of the car off the ground, which will put pressure on the wheel you're trying to remove. Hit the axle nut with a sledge hammer a couple times and the wheel should pop loose, still being held on by the nut. You can then let the other side down, jack up your loose side, remove the axle nut and remove the wheel. Without the benefit of the weight of the car to help you, a loose axle on the ground is more difficult to deal with. Hope this helps. I did this on my 24 Chrysler years ago, and as I remember, this method worked for me.

Greg

Several years ago I had a '27 Model 50 Coach and had trouble getting the rear wheels off also. In order not to scar up the wooden spokes and the metal hubs, I had a wheel puller collar made. I took a 6" diameter, 3/8" thick piece of steel to a machine shop and had them drill out a 2 1/2" hole and thread it to the threads of the hub where the cap attaches to the metal hub (I believe it was 2 1/2" - 18 threads per inch). By attaching the collar to the jacked up wheel and using a three pronged wheel puller the wheel popped off the tapered shaft rather quickly. I hope this helps.