55 Chrysler-Will not start

The other evening I started my 1955 Chrysler anticipating a short, early evening drive. The car started fine. When I shifted the car from neutral to reverse it died.....not as a car will often do but rather it died as if the ignition had been turned off. I put the car back in neutral and restarted the car. I made sure it was warmed up and then shifted to reverse. Again it died as if the key had been turned off. I started it again...put in drive...no problem.....put it in reverse and it died. Given it was late I did not fool with the car any further. The next day I went out to start it and it would do nothing...completely dead. I checked the battery (6 volt). It had charge but I put the charger on it anyway..left it on for a while...tried to start and still the car was dead. The lights will not come on.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be. I have tried to check fuses and breakers but don't know that I have found all of them. I have a service manual but did not find any help there.

Thanks,

JK

hi joe, i'm having the same problem with my 1957 dodge custom royal. the battery is good but the whole electrical system is dead, except for the horn. could you let me know if resolve your problem so i can give it a try? thanx,nightrain56.

Joe and nightrain56,

I am new to old Chrysler products (I just bought a '56 Dodge Custom Royal), but the electrical problem your describing sounds alot like how my '96 Sebring acted when I needed to get the starter replaced. When the starter died it took out some fuses with it. It was completelt dead except for windows and climate control, they worked but the radio nor any other electric. I thought maybe this might help!

John

Thanks John.....I really appreciate your comments. I still have not been able to resolve the problem but I have not taken a look at the starter. I will do that....

Joe

Will do. I don't have any power to anything. Nothing electrical works. I have been advised by an former Chrysler mechanic that most (all??) the electrical components were routed through the starter. Given the information we received from John in his post it sounds like it might be the starter. It will be a few days before I have time to get on it but I will let you know if that is the problem.

Thanks,

Joe

• 6 months later...

Nighttrain....I know it has been several months since I posted my note concerning the starting of my 55 Chrysler. It turned out it was a bad ignition switch. I ordered a new replacement switch that would not work but finally was able to get that one replaced with one that fixed the problem.

Just thought I would let you know. Hopefully by now you have resolved your problem.

JK