Trailer Tires

Terry Bond

Time to replace my old trailer tires. Its an open trailer and will usually haul just a Model T, however may occasionally haul up to a Pontiac GTO. Any recommendations on what I should look for and what might be the best? I've heard negatives about Goodyear and Carlisle.

Thanks,

Terry

I am considering only "ST" rated tires (Special Trailer) but was hopeful some of the folks who do a lot of trailering would share their experiences with particular brands. I've done a bit of research and found some customer reviews but they are mainly on sites that cater to people hauling boats. Thats where I got the feeling that Carlisle tires, despite their common usage, didn't seem to hold up well. Goodyears also got a lot of negatives - of course you don't ever hear much from the folks who love them...

Terry

Hi, Terry.

You have seen my 16' Southwest trailer. Have 13,461 miles on the Goodyear ST 205/75 R15 © tires (bought trailer new in 2002). TR-6 and Trailer weight: 5250 lbs. Absolutely no problems with the tires. "They show very little wear."

My experience so far:

--Inflated with Nitrogen at 65 p.s.i., which keeps heat down, reduces/eliminates air moisture which can rust rims internally, and, of utmost importance retains tire pressure for long periods to include static. My Dakota and wife's Pontiac are running on Nitrogen, too. Cost in my area: $2.00 per tire for Nitrogen.

Spare tire is also are inflated with Nitrogen.

--Rotate and balance trailer tires every 4,000 miles. (I doubt many think of this.)

--Pay attention to greasing axles. (Replace grease in April of every year, check each tire for any foreign objects picked up on the road.)

--Tire Covers (white colored): I affix them for any static trailer storage over 1 week to prevent U.V. and rim (rust) damage from rain and snow.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

PJH...

I would echo all of Peter's recommendations. As far as specific brands are concerned, I can't say that I recommend Carlisle tires either. They are on my dad's open trailer and we experienced a severe ply separation on the way to a show last year in Nashville. I have Maxis tires on my enclosed trailer and have had no issues.

Terry,

I agree with everything that PJH said. I would add that I use only GoodYear Trailer Marathron radials. I haul a 4000 lb car in a 24' enclosed trailer, run 225x15 load range D and replace them about every 4 years regardless of what they look like.

Folks, a good friend observed that I had not supplied the following:

--Nitrogen is offered at C.J. Tire Company here in S.E. PA. Have about 8 locations. $2.00 per tire.

Check tire dealers in your area. Nitrogen is becoming more popular by the day. They put a "green" valve stem cap on to indicate Nitrogen. <span style="font-weight: bold">NOTE: They advise not mixing air with Nitrogen.</span> The tech guy I spoke with originally said a few pounds of air will not hurt anything, however, to mix 50-50, per sae, is not good as the air generates moisture.

--Some examples: NASCAR and other racing venues use it. Also, the military.

--I travel on average 1,000 miles per week. With air, I usually had to add a few pounds on a monthly basis. With Nitrogen, I have had the same constant pressure now for almost 5 months.

--Tires run cooler and it increases tread life.

--If you use various lube/oil change franchises, remember to tell them not to add air. Checking of the air is usually part of the service.

Regards,

PJH

Terry,

As of Monday my enclosed trailer has went over 45,000 miles. I have tried all kinds of trailer tires with some bias Japanese name I can't even pronounce actually giving the me the best service, and they were cheap compared to Goodyear, etc. They are no longer in business as they had problems with people running them low on air and eventually the heat separating them.

I now stick to the Goodyear's for what it is worth as they last about the same as the rest of them plus they are what most stock if you need to pick some up on the road. I don't like to mix tires.

Guest imported_buggboy

Jeff and others:

Aircraft tires are usually filled with nitrogen. Reasoning is twofold; both having to do with higher altitudes. First, the nitrogen doesn't expand nearly as much, nor compress. Most importantly tho, the nitorgen has no moisture in it, to freeze at higher altitudes or corrode the rims. The tires also are supposed to run cooler. Haven't seen any data on that last tho.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always wondered if inflating the tires with pure Nitrogen has much real benefit. After all, the air coming out of my shop compressor is already 78% Nitrogen. I'd be interested in learning the science behind the theory. </div></div>

Nitrogen atoms are bigger than oxygen atoms and so leak out slower. We used nitrogen in our aircraft tires but the biggest reason for that was, besides the moisture angle, Our tires were inflated to 250 psi and it was a lot easier and cheaper to just use a nitrogen cylinder rather than maintain a high pressure compressor and drier......Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nitrogen atoms are bigger than oxygen atoms and so leak out slower.</div></div>

This is inaccurate, and is repeated in almost every nitrogen inflation system sales pitch. Nitrogen atoms (atomic weight 28.02) are smaller than oxygen atoms (atomic weight 32.00). Salesmen who get the real figres handed to them are told to tell "doubters' to "<span style="font-style: italic">refer to a good periodic chart and check</span>". Few tire jockeys know what a periodic table is. Here's one. Add together 2 oxygen and 2 nitrogen atoms for the weight. As for atomic volume, N2 is a triple bond molecule, O2 is a double bond molecule. Triple bonds are tighter/closer/smaller.

Nitrogen has 3 real advantages. It's dry chemically (so water vapor and it's corrosive properites are minimized), the internal oxidation of the tire carcass by O2 is eliminated, and it's more consistent in vapor pressure with variations in temperature. The last advantage is the most important, creating more consistent pressures at highway speeds which <span style="font-style: italic">can</span> save fuel. However for antique cars, where tires are changed infrequently, all the advantages can be important.

It is expensive to inflate with nitrogen, however, with tire fill-ups frequently costing $10/tire. If new tires are being mounted it may be worth it (especially if it's included in mounting/balancing), but I'd hesitate to spend good money inflating old tires that won't be around long with nitrogen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PJH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">--Tire Covers (white colored): I affix them for any static trailer storage over 1 week to prevent U.V. and rim (rust) damage from rain and snow. </div></div>

PJH:

I am located just down the road from you and was wondering if you purchased your Tire Covers locally or got them mail order or over the internet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's what I was looking for, SCIENCE! Now if you could just explain to folks that slowing down the flow of water thru a block/radiator system (assuming there is not cavitation)DOES NOT Promote better cooling... </div></div>

That's easy. Heat is removed from a radiator as a function of the temperature differential accross the interface (usually brass, newer cars use aluminum). If you remove all the heat in the first few inches by slowing the flow, the rest of the radiator is essentially unused. Assuming you have the same amount of heat to lose over time, you'll do much better circulating the coolent faster so that the whole of the radiator is used.

<span style="font-weight: bold">MORE IMPORTANT SCIENCE!:</span>

Pure nitrogen can be very dangerous for those working with it. You may recall about 20 years ago a group of NASA maintenance workers suffocated while working on one of the space shuttle's booster rockets. The rocket (essentially a big tank) was purged with nitrogen to remove dangerous left over fuel gases. It was <span style="text-decoration: underline">supposed</span> to be repurged with air prior to the maintenance workers entering. It wasn't. They all died within feet of an open door, which they could have exited through at any time.

When your body begins to suffocate, the urge to breathe <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">IS NOT</span></span> triggered by a <span style="text-decoration: underline">lack</span> of oxygen. It is instead triggered by the <span style="text-decoration: underline">presence</span> of CO2. If you were to attempt to breathe in an atmosphere of pure N2 you wouldn't be making any CO2, and that which you brought in with you would exhale into the N2 as normal. <span style="text-decoration: underline">So you'd have no idea that you were suffocating!</span> You'd just drop off without warning where you stood. Your first clue that you were in trouble would come from St. Peter.

It might be tempting to buy an industrial bottle of nitrogen and inflate your own tires with it. That's a hairy proposition! sick.gif If you do, <span style="font-style: italic">BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN</span> that the area is <span style="font-style: italic">VERY</span> well ventilated. A slow leak in a closed room would quickly make that place a death trap.

Thanks folks - I've talked with a few local club members as well and the consensus seems to be the Goodyear Marathon. I can get a good deal on them without having to pay shipping (can beat Tire Rack's prices) and having a name brand like Goodyear = less concerns about service if I ever need to replace one while on a trip.

As for the nitrogen stuff, I found it all quite interesting, but I'll save the difference in price and by a nice bottle of scotch. Now if you want to talk real science, try to figure out how nobody has ever been able to make decent scotch outside of Scotland.

Terry

I have been running Goodyear (G159 radials front) (Wranger LT on rear) on my open trailer, re: 9.50R16.5LT load range E.

This size is hard to find now, have hauled up to 10,000lbs , suppose I should shop for some new tires as these are getting old but some cracking near rim but show little tread wear. Bought this size new so they would fit my old Dodge 1 ton truck 8-lug but now I wonder about going to trailer rated tires, wheels are going to be expensive to replace . . .

Well I wasn't going to respond to this post because I didn't have anything to add. Now I do. I haul a closed 24' trailer with a 50's buick or olds inside. Kind of heavy so last year I put 4 brand new "E" rated Carlisle trailer tires on it. That's WAY over kill. I was so proud of myself because I was soooo smart. I also check my tire pressure to the pound before a trip. Well yesterday on my way to Binghamton one of the *%^$*&^# tires blew out. The tread looks like new, I don't think I have 1000 miles on it. On Monday I'll be back at the tire store with the remains to see what they will do about it...........Bob

I just had my second Carlisle trailer tire blow out in less than a week. These tires are less than 3 years old and have less than 2000 miles on them. They are load rated E which is over kill. Anyone thinking of Carlisle tires should Google "Carlisle Trailer Tires" and read some of the reports. I wish I would have. The remaining 2 tires are coming off this week and are being thrown away. That's a cool $600 shot in the a**. Buyer beware...........Bob

Carlisle tire update. The second tire that blew out literally exploded, shedding the entire tread leaving just the side walls on the rim. When I showed the dealer the remains this AM he said take them all off and he would replace them with Goodyears, no charge. I plan to write to the NTSB this evening telling of my experiance with the Carlisles.........Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a new 24ft, 10000 GVW Haulmark Trailer. The tires are Hi-Run made in Beijing China. Unbelievable!!! A quality trailer manufacturer using Chinese tires. I complained to Haulmark. Their response was, the tires are warranted by the manufacturer (whoever that is). I told them I wasn't worried about the $100 tire warranty. I am worried about the $150,000 payload that is riding on the Chinese tires. I have ordered a set of Cooper trailer tires. Anyone want a good deal on some "Hi-Run" tires

Gotta read that fine print "Res".

Hallmark probably had a tire option more to your liking, but as most of us do, we want the best price. No disrepect intended, but everyone needs to go over "all specs" of a purchase nowadays to uncover the undesirable.

Wayne

All of Haulmarks 10000gvw come with Chinese tires. The factory told me they are made special for Haulmark. They are also the only tire stocked by the dealer. I guess I could have refused to buy it until they were replaced but I doubt I would have saved much in such a transaction. My original point was, an American trailer manufacturer should not be using Chinese tires!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: resurrections</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of Haulmarks 10000gvw come with Chinese tires. The factory told me they are made special for Haulmark. They are also the only tire stocked by the dealer. I guess I could have refused to buy it until they were replaced but I doubt I would have saved much in such a transaction. My original point was, an American trailer manufacturer should not be using Chinese tires! </div></div>Dear Res.I do not believe you'd EVER find a set of Chinese tires on a Goldrush trailer.Bottom line,you get what you pay for.diz

After my experiance with the Chinese Carlisle tires I wouldn't want your Hi-runs for free. As far as I'm concerned the only thing they are good for is maybe burning a pile of stumps. I'm reading reports where over 500,000 Chinese tires imported into the U.S. are defective. Any one putting them on a trailer with their prize car aboard must really like to gamble........Bob

I would ask Haulmark if these tires were of the same manufacture as the ones that were recently recalled due to a compound which was left out, and caused the tires to separate.

Here is how the recall will operate for those of you who have the Chinese tires with issues. Note the company is probably already in bankruptcy.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The company that imported Chinese tires at the center of a recall demand by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration will recall the tires and replace them until the company, Foreign Tire Sales (FTS), has run out of funds.

A lawyer for FTS said the company will begin notifying owners of the tires and will continue the recall until the company has run out of money.

Once the company has replaced as many of the tires as it can, the company will have to declare bankruptcy.

I just checked my father's new Haulmark, and it has Hi-Runs on it. So what.

In reality, anything you buy is a gamble. I Remember a few years ago when Firestone was having problems with blowouts causing Ford Explorers to roll over. I was at the Ford dealer where a woman was having her tires replaced by the recall. She was having a fit because they were putting new Firestones on her car. The service manager politely told her that Firestone was recalling the tires, but they certainly weren't going to give her somebody else's tires as a replacement. She carried on that Firestones were unsafe and she wouldn't drive with her children on Firestones. I couldn't help myself but to tell her that Firestone has been making tires for over 100 years, and just because they made a few bad ones, it doesn't mean they're all bad.

We are all going to have to get used to seeing Chinese goods. Just like "Made in Japan" used to mean junk, the times they are a changing.

I remember when I worked in an equipment shop and sold tires for commercial lawn mowers. We had the cheap Cheng Shing Tires and the quality, twice the price, made in USA, Carlisle tires. I guess Carlisles aren't what they used to be. The truth is, you never know how good a product is, foreign or domestic, until you try it. I'm not about to toss out the Hi-Runs just yet, and I'll gladly take any that anyone wants to throw my way.

I didn't discover that my new Goodyears were made in China until today. VERY small imprint on tire says so. I called Goodyear customer service to see who actually made them. She said they are made in China but are not outsourced. The Chinese plant is owned by Goodyear. I'm still not happy. I thought I was buying American made..........Bob

Bob, comments from a tire dealer regarding your original brand of trailer tires before switching to the Goodyear's. I bought some Goodyear's in Florida a few years ago for spares and I am curious to see where they were made. We are loading up for another long trip next week:

Lee De Armond Says:

June 28th, 2007 at 10:33 am

The tire problem is not new and is on going. The worst offender for us has been Carlisle. The worst thing is that our hands are pretty well tied on getting and doing warranty on tires. The customer looks directly at us. The only way that we can respond is to drop a factory that will not respond and or will not help. We have done this and it did hurt us. However in the long run will it really hurt us. We normally see 3 to 5 units per week for tire blowout damage. We try to have all owners file a report with the NHTSA. However they seem to be totally unresponsive. I am surprised that the insurance companies don’t get more involved. The cost to them has to be staggering. The only answer is better and heavier rated tires. The factories are running so close to the tires load limits that there is no margin at all.I have seen trailers that you have to subtract the tongue weight to be in limits for the tires by as little as 200# lbs. The factories have to be the ones to stop and control this. Thank you

Here's Hallmark's reply;

"No, I am sorry but Haulmark Industries does not offer any other brand tire except what we are currently using which is Hi Run brand.

Thank you,

Haulmark Industries"

I actually asked about Michelins for a reference. Oh well! Maybe you're better off to buy a trailer without tires. I actually did that with a hopper trailer for tractor trailers some years ago. I drove my bob-tail truck to Kansas with 4 Super Singles and my own tires. No big deal. Those guys wanted my business. smile.gif

Wayne

Another response;

<span style="font-weight: bold">My question.......</span>

Thank you for responding. a lot of my friends are having trouble with that brand of tire. Maybe we can deliver our own tires to be put on a new spec trailer??

<span style="font-weight: bold">Their answer...

</span>That you will have to discuss with the selling dealer.

Wayne