ECM location please....

CoolWheels

I have searched the 90 Reatta manual but it does not give the location of the electronic control module. I am embarassed to ask, but just where is it located? My other cars, pre 1980 Alfas, do not have this and I have never worked with an ECM. Also, if I find the connector to the ECM is loose, or not well grounded, or that I must replace the ECM is there anything I should know before I start monkeying with it, such as disconnecting the negative ground? Please add anything else I should know about the ECM as my Reatta urgently needs attention that the local shops do not seem able to provide and I am having to do the trouble-shooting myself.

Thanks a lot in advance.

The issue I am going after on my 90 Reatta is that when I first turn it on, none of the instrument panel guages work except the engine service light. Also, the air conditioning swivel vents on either side of the dash and glove box do not work. If I wait, the gauges do start to work including the speedometer and the tachometer. I drive it for a while, then the engine just quits, the gauges quit working, and I am left driving a car without power steering or brakes, not a fun task in heavy traffic. I pull over, then usually the car starts right up again, I wait, the gauges come back on, and off I go, until everthing stops again. I figure I have a faulty connection that works only when it is contact with the ECM, and then it looses contact. I understand the module for the AC is near the ECM and could inadvertantly get bumped or disconnected (as by the mechanic who looked over the wiring).

If the ECM is below and behind the glove box, it seems it would be pretty easy to disconnect some other wiring. Also, I assume if I take a look at the ECM, I should disconnect the car battery negative groundd???

The BCM ( body control module)is located behind the glove box and mounted horizontally.

The ECM ( engine control module )is mounted below the glove box and is mounted vertically.

From the your description you may have a bad connection or a bad ground but I am guessing not a bad ECM or BCM. Check your connectors and also check the two ground connection points on the body near the battery. The may look good but make sure they are and are tight. Also make sure your battery cables on the battery are clean and tight.

To remove the connectors on the BCM or ECM simply have the ignition key off.

I have several Reatta parts cars and have parts if you need them. I can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com