Brakes, 91 vs others and........

Guest wally888

Guest wally888

Recently read a post re. engaging antilock on an 88, 89 or 90. I never found it difficult to engage antilock on either 89 I have owned. Probably would be easier on dirt or gravel but I found it easy on cement and asphalt.<BR> Find a deserted place w/ no chance of swerving off into trouble, accelerate to 50mph and get on the pedal. I have done this at 80 mph w/o any problems. I realize this is dangerous but I think every owner should try it for two reasons. Become familar w/ it and test it.<BR> Yesterday I experienced antilock engagement in my 91 for the 1st. time.( O.K., so I din't follow my own advice! I will play w/ it) Emergency stop from about 40mph on pavement. Heard a tire squeel for an instance then a couple of funny little vibrations. Is this normal for 91? I have a Manual and will seek answer if there.<BR> I have been promising Tom Jenkins, reatta.net, that I will Edit, Update and make any necessary changes to the Brake Article at his website. I would appreciate any input from anyone (will ad test 7 to Brake Tests)about anything.<BR> I would like to ad a brief over view of the 91 Reatta brakes and would greatly appreciate anything from anyone about them. Especially things not readily apparent from reading the Manual. I have a 91 Manual.

Guest wally888

You to can have your own private thread!<BR> Am pushing this back to the top in hopes there is another live owner of a 91 out there.<BR> Surely someone w/ a 91 has experienced the Antilock engaged!<BR> And has some suggestions for 91 info in the brake article?

Wally,<P>Great article - and we all look forward to future postings and updates.<P>A thought - Is the format what people want? Perhaps some feedback on site/page structure would be appreciated.<P>I know that we broke the brake article up into 5-6 areas - does this work for most folks?<P>Just thinking out loud - how could we make it better, more productive and conducive toward providing accurate and quality advice and recommendations?<P>--Tom

Guest wally888

I still, as I was before the Article was 1st. presentd, lean toward trying to simplify the info there. We could include specifics, pressures, details, diagrams, etc. but make it more readable to the average owner. Or, maybe the average owner is head and shoulders above, in regards to being a mechanic, the average car owner. I doubt it! We just have a lot of experienced, knowledgable people here.<BR> A very recent post re. brakes, preventitive maintenance....was made by one of those we need to reach. We need to convince all owners to perform the necessary steps to insure, if possible, a safe, reliable braking<BR> system.<BR> Perhaps growing up in the service somewhat slanted my thinking but my idea of an opening page would be one that would have to be read before a person could access the rest of the Article. On that opening page I would present a short overview and stress Testing, Flushing, Antilock function and the<BR> foolishness of driving w/ the Red light on or intermittantly on. Somehow create a verbal pistol whipping. ( Where is Brenda when you need her!)