49 Roadmaster Dynaflow Leaking - Need Some Advice

Dan O

Howdy from Woodville, Texas from "Behind the Pine Curtain" - My 76S has a leak at the rear of the transmission and my shop manual does not address this. I have found a 48 manual for the dynaflow but nothing else for sale for a 49 dynaflow. Any advice on a source? Perhaps someone has an exloded view they could post of disassembly to stop the leak? Is this a common problem with a known solution? I have never tackled a transmission and neither has my mechanic (not a 49 dynaflow anyway).

Your help/comments will be appreciated.

Most leaks at the rear of a dynaflow are at the torque ball and can be serviced without removing the transmission. I have never done a 49 but you would work with components "BD" on back. Others more familiar with model should be able to tell you how to disassemble and what parts you need.

Willie

There are aftermarket torque ball seal kits that address this problem and they do work. The rear must be pulled back or removed but that isn't too big a job especially if you just pull it back.............Bob.

• 2 weeks later...

The 49 buick used a &^*&(^%& metal to metal seal that was problematic. A rubber boot was fitted over this assy to keep dirt and road grime out the the torque ball. (the shop manual refers to this part as a dust boot). Some cars were retrofitted with an outer retainer that had a rubber lip moulded the inside edge. This design was a great improvement. CARS has reproduced this part and USUALLY (but not always and I don't know why) all you need to do is replace your outer retainer with the one CARS has.

Or if you can find an original outer retainer with the rubber lip, STEELE can revulcanize new rubber to it.

The oiginal metal to metal type outer retainer has the wrong arc to vulcanize a lip to it.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much.

Bill

PS the bolts holding the rear coil springs to the rear end are LEFT_HAND THREAD!!!!