1932 PACKARD LIGHT 8 900 SHOVEL NOSE FOR SALE

MattKemph

HAVE PACKARD FOR SALE IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT. RECEIVED THIS AS A PAYMENT FOR SOME WORK DONE FOR A GENTLEMAN. LAST LICENSED IN 1969 WHEN IT WAS BARN PARKED. E MAIL ME FOR MORE INFO OR PICS. AM NEW TO FORUM AND DONT KNOW HOW TO UPLOAD PICS TO SITE. MOTOR TURNS OVER. IGNITION SWITCH IS BROKEN. THERE IS SOME RUST OUT AT REAR OF CAR ON DRIVER SIDE ABOUT THE SIZE OF A DOLLAR BILL. 1 REAR WINDOW MISSING AND INTERIOR TRIM FOR SAME WINDOW IS MISSING ALSO. SIDE MOUNT BUCKETS ARE RUSTED THROUGH SOMEWHAT BUT I THINK THEY ARE REPAIRABLE. INTERIOR SEATS HAVE THE FRAMES BUT I REMOVED THE FABRIC AND MATERIAL BECAUSE OF THE RATS THAT MADE THEM THEIR HOME. EVERYONE SEEMS TO SAY THAT THEIR CAR IS 99% COMPLETE BUT YOU AND I BOTH KNOW THAT THE PIECES THAT ARE USUALLY MISSING ARE EITHER THE UN FINDABLE OR THE MOST EXPENSIVE TO REPLACE.THIS CAR WAS PARKED FOR AN UNKNOWN REASON. THEREFORE I WOULD GUESS THAT THERE IS SOME KIND OF PROBLEM WITH IT. WHAT THAT PROBLEM IS I DONT KNOW. PEOPLE DONT JUST PARK CARS BECAUSE THEY DONT NEED THEM ANYMORE. THIS CAR HAS A FEW MISSING PARTS BUT DONT BELEIVE THESE MISSING PARTS ARE UNFINDABLE I JUST DONT KNOW WHERE TO LOOK OR WHO TO CONTACT.

THANKS FOR LOOKING

The things that I know that are missing are the interior trim for the drivers side rear window and the window handle and trim for same. Also I have the ignition key switch and coil but the key tumbler ( the guts ) are broken, they were froze up and I took it to a locksmith and when he disassembled it it was broken. I have the front bumper and the headlight glass lense. will need to replace the flat glass at passenger side rear window as most of it is missing or in pieces. All of the seat cusion frames and springs are present as are all of the guages with exception to the cigar lighter. Drivers side door handles are packard but not correct to year and car.

post-52513-143137937505_thumb.jpg

post-52513-143137937507_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to see a pic. I also could likely supply most, if not all the missing parts, especially if the car is a sedan. </div></div>

Remember, Jeff, its value is what it is worth completely restored, minus the cost of restoration! wink.gif

• 5 months later...

The dollar value of an unrestored car, needing full restoration and missing parts, is always an interesting discussion these days. The cost of restoration, coupled with the quality expectation of current owners and show goers, can lead to a huge amount of money being spent on cars.

Just for round numbers, let's say $5K for engine rebuild, 10K for paint, 10K for upholstery, and 10K for chrome. That's $35,000. Mannheim Gold lists value of a show car sedan at $41,000. So, $6000, not counting time and all the small things that go into a restoration (wiring, exhaust, tires, etc.)

This is why so many restorable cars in junkyards go wanting.

Good luck! David Coco Winchester Va.

Realistically, to do a professional show quality complete restoration on this vehicle to current standards in hopes of competing for an award at a major show could cost in excess of $100,000, possibly as much as $150,000 or more depending on the labor rate of the shop doing the job. Even if you supplied all of the labor yourself you would easily spent $25-35 thou. In todays market you'd better figure $15000 for chrome. Don't forget that this body is wood framed. $6000 or more to replace all of the wood and do the necessary metal work. $12-20 thou for paint. Just the primers, sealers and paint to do a show quality paint job would cost $2000 at least. More like $6-7 thou to rebuild the engine and make it pretty. Probably $2000 for the correct materials for the interior. Maybe $2000 for all of the woodgraining. Probably $1000 or so just for rubber parts from Steele. Glass? Tires? Exhaust? Missing or unuseable parts? Rebuilding of instruments? It's a wonder that any cars ever get restored.

Guest superods

My goodness, the last two posts are depressing but true. How many people go forward without a clue and get a rude awakening. Both eyes open along with the pocket book when you restore anything.

Yes, I agree, you need deep pockets and a "what the hell" attitude to take on most restoration projects. The only payback would come with rare and/or desirable cars, open classics or one of a kind styling exercises, unless one considers the payback of memories.

I have been lucky on buying cars (bought or traded for a few nice open Classics in the 70's-80's), and as a hobby (used to do it professionally) I do upholstery work (leather and early tops only); plus I have a good friend who does engines. So, I trade upholstery work for engine work, and for paint have a friend who owns a local body shop, and he does old cars in the "back room" in between insurance jobs. Chrome is expensive,no way to get around it. I end up with very nice cars, not Pebble Beach quality, but above average drivers for reasonable cash outlay. I want to drive them, so that is fine with me.

My 1931 Pierce phaeton was first restored in 1959/60; it was nicely done, but with a naugahyde interior; the owner told me that naugahyde then was more expensive than leather, but he thought it would wear better. Up to todays standards? No. But he drove the car all over Louisiana and Texas in the 60's and 70's, and had more fun with it than you can imagine. He toured with Buddy Walton and his 1929 Cadillac roadster from New Orleans, a well known (in that region) green roadster. I re-restored it about 6 years ago; now correct with leather interior etc. It has not been driven as much as I would like, but still goes to Pierce meets and other tours and easily puts miles behind it.

With today's prices, unless you can do a lot of work yourself (and want to put up with the hassle of doing so, fun for some, not fun for others), you are much better off buying a restored car. This is much to the dismay of people who find an old car in a barn or garage, a car which looks neat but needs restoration, and they find that it is not worth a fortune due to restoration costs. Again, there are exceptions; if this barn find were a Packard Darrin, collectors would be tripping over themselves to make an offer; but a light 8 sedan, even a Packard, in this condition, is, as a friend in the hobby says, just a "license to build".

Hope it finds a good home.

David Coco, Winchester Va.

So what is the consensus on an approximate value for this one? Assume it is a parts car - $3,500? More, less?

I totally agree that it makes more economic sense to buy a restored car, but am curious what Packard experts think of the value of a car like this. It certainly looks complete and restorable. I have not seen too many of these present themselves in unrestored condition like the later 110s - 120s.

Guest 1956Packard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trimacar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Mannheim Gold lists value of a ......</div></div>

Warning Hot Button!

Don't want to hi-jack this thread, but take these things with a huge grain of salt - like road salt or a salt lick.

In my opinion, consider these things to be for 'entertainment purposes only'. And only on a bad day when you're sick and tired of watching paint dry.

A quick search just now indicates a price difference on the exact same car on two of the most 'favourite' sites to have a value difference of 100%. In this case $55,000.

I think all these things can do is provide some sort of bench mark for the desirability of one car vs. another. Not a value.

Geoff

Hi Geoff- I agree with you, but you have to start somewhere when someone starts asking a value. Also note that I began my comments by stating that this is "always an interesting discussion", that is, not everyone is going to agree on a value. A buyer will say it's a $2000 or $3000 parts car at most. The seller is going to say it is a "rare classic", and wants it to be worth $30,000 or more.

In my opinion, car prices are crazy these days, particularly with everything turned upside down; Hemis are worth more than Classics, hot rods are worth more than originals, and so forth. The new "unrestored" craze is a good backwards; the only problem is that it took so long for it to catch on, and many excellent originals are long lost so that points at shows could be had.

I long for the days when I started the hobby, the 1960's; it was not about the money then. Unfortunately, it is very much about the money now with a lot of people. Just look at all the dealers that are scooping up cars, sometimes at fair to high prices, and then putting extremely high prices on them. Those in the know may not pay those prices, but someone new to the hobby, watches the B-J auction, pays a super high price, then gets burned when they go to sell the car. Another hobbyist lost.

I take it all with a grain of salt, and these discussions are very much entertaining! Happy Motoring! David Coco

Good points. Yes, primarily for discussion, I figure the thread has not been active for months until this week, so it should not unduly influence anyone by now.

That said condition is still questionable given limited information. Car does look pretty complete. I have to believe sum of parts alone on this car are worth more than $3,500, but whole cars usually don't bring the sum of their parts. Maybe somewhere between $3,500 & 5,000? May seem low to some but as has been pointed out restoration costs would be high whether done by a hobbyist or a pro as the car certainly would need it all.

Unless someone has a convertible body waiting for a chassis in which case it might be worth $15-20 thou. Certainly more than $3500 in parts. The sidemount fenders, brackets and full length rear bumper would bring $2000 easily. There is demand. Another $500 for the sidemount covers. Original switched coil $150, carb $500, air cleaner $450, preheater $750, instruments $100 each. Taillights and lenses $350 or so each. Be a shame to see it cut up though.

Absolutely agree, that would be a shame. Interestingly this summer show season some of the most attention getting cars have been "barn fresh" mostly Fords & a couple 30s Chevys. Would be fun to put this in mechanically safe shape and show up dirt and all. I asking these guys what's next, some indicate an impending restoration, others, "nothing at all"..

• 5 years later...
Guest dgiorgi
HAVE PACKARD FOR SALE IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT. RECEIVED THIS AS A PAYMENT FOR SOME WORK DONE FOR A GENTLEMAN. LAST LICENSED IN 1969 WHEN IT WAS BARN PARKED. E MAIL ME FOR MORE INFO OR PICS. AM NEW TO FORUM AND DONT KNOW HOW TO UPLOAD PICS TO SITE. MOTOR TURNS OVER. IGNITION SWITCH IS BROKEN. THERE IS SOME RUST OUT AT REAR OF CAR ON DRIVER SIDE ABOUT THE SIZE OF A DOLLAR BILL. 1 REAR WINDOW MISSING AND INTERIOR TRIM FOR SAME WINDOW IS MISSING ALSO. SIDE MOUNT BUCKETS ARE RUSTED THROUGH SOMEWHAT BUT I THINK THEY ARE REPAIRABLE. INTERIOR SEATS HAVE THE FRAMES BUT I REMOVED THE FABRIC AND MATERIAL BECAUSE OF THE RATS THAT MADE THEM THEIR HOME. EVERYONE SEEMS TO SAY THAT THEIR CAR IS 99% COMPLETE BUT YOU AND I BOTH KNOW THAT THE PIECES THAT ARE USUALLY MISSING ARE EITHER THE UN FINDABLE OR THE MOST EXPENSIVE TO REPLACE.THIS CAR WAS PARKED FOR AN UNKNOWN REASON. THEREFORE I WOULD GUESS THAT THERE IS SOME KIND OF PROBLEM WITH IT. WHAT THAT PROBLEM IS I DONT KNOW. PEOPLE DONT JUST PARK CARS BECAUSE THEY DONT NEED THEM ANYMORE. THIS CAR HAS A FEW MISSING PARTS BUT DONT BELEIVE THESE MISSING PARTS ARE UNFINDABLE I JUST DONT KNOW WHERE TO LOOK OR WHO TO CONTACT.

THANKS FOR LOOKING

Hello, I know its been a few years for this post but I was wondering what happened to this car... is it still available??? Thank you in advance, David.