New guy's first post: zip strips in the engine compartment?

Hi All,<P>I'm new here & to the hobby. I'm one of those "younger folks" mentioned in recent posts, being that my '69 Mercedes-Benz 280SL is older than I am. wink.gif" border="0 <P>The car is in very well preserved original condition (paint, tires, seat covers, and soft top are new). I'd like to keep it as original as possible without going overboard. I especially enjoy involving my nearly-3-year-old daughter in the preservation & repairs.<P>My first question for this experienced crowd:<P>The engine just went through a horribly expensive rebuild. The mechanic bundled & tied down wires with blue plastic zip strips (zip ties?) everywhere. I'm guessing this isn't how it was done in 1969. What, if anything, would have been used originally on this 32-year-old German machine?<P>Thanks in advance for any help!<P>Dorian Garson<p>[ 06-10-2001: Message edited by: Dorian Garson ]

Dorian: I am totally ignorant as to what Mercedes uses, but, my '72 TR-6 correct ties are called "Fir Trees". <P>Picture a fir tree (graduated horizontal tabs that increase in size for about five tabs). Then, depending on the size of the fir tree required, there is an un-cut strap with a belt buckle loop to pull it tight.<P>These fir tree straps come in a variety of sizes, depending on the amount of volume they must pull tight.<P>Contact the A.A.C.A. Library & Research Center for possible help: 717/534-1910 and ask for Kim Miller. wink.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0 <P>Regards, Peter J.

Dorian,<P>There were not Zip Ties on you car when it was new. There were clamps that bolted to the fire wall and fender wells. The wiring was all enclosed in a plastic looking harness.<P>I can send you pictures if you would like. This information is from my 67, if that is close enough.<P>Dan

Dorian,<BR> If you have a factory service repair manual for your Benz, it will show the engine compartment, in many different areas under the hood, and give you a good 'look' at your car as it was when new. This won't show everthing but you can view many critical areas and get a real good idea of how the harness looked and was attached to the car. I hope this helps, Jeff smile.gif" border="0