66 Fairlane 500

I just found a 1 owner 66 Fairlane 500 with 55K ( and looks like it)Bronze color, no vinyl roof, nice body, good paint, good glass, rear bumper needs rechrome. It has a 390 V8, Auto, hang on A/C, buckets and console.The wheels have a full wheel cover painted body color.

I bad news is it has been sitting in a garage for 15+ years (1989 tags) and the top of carb. is off (looks like all parts there)the old man that owns car from new said it ran good (so why is the carb. apart, there is a coil sitting there too).

My question is what is this car worth? High and Low. How desirable is this car? Right now it is a pig in a poke. What should I look for on this car.

One more thing on both rear quarters there is a air intake, it is about 1 inch high and about 6 inches long it is connected to a box in the trunk (4 x 4 or so) with a hole on top, what is that? MOcarGuy@aol.com 317 856 8666 I'm going away 6-3-07 thru 6-7-07

• 2 weeks later...

The box in the back is the trunk mount A/C unit. The openings on the fender are for the outside air intake. This system was used in factory and add-on systems in the 50’s. It may also have a split system with an undermount evaporator in the front and one in the trunk along with a fan in the trunk box to blow air through tubes or vents into the car. As to why the carb. and coil are apart, who knows? As to price, a car that doesn’t run can’t have the drive train evaluated. So, it’s not worth much. It is basiclly a parts car if it isn't running.

You might want to check the body numbers to see what they are. A ’66 with a 390 is not the norm. most people bought the smaller engines. Even at 25 cents a gallon a 390 was considered a gas hog in the ‘60’s. Remember, the hourly min. wage in 1966 was $1.25 an hour.

• 2 weeks later...

It's very desireable as a street sleeper, as long as it doesn't have the hidden cancer. The FE option leaves a lot of possibilities there, from a pure stock show and go to a real sick stock bodied bracket racer. Even if it was just a complete rust free 289 car, $2500 would be a good price. If that car was fairly close to where I live, I'd be looking it over closely with cash in my pocket. I really like that body style. If it were mine, I'd go totally stock restoration, and massage the 390 for mild performance but keep the stock look. I've had FE (390 version) powered full size cars get over 20MPG on the highway, they don't have to be 8 mpg gas swillers.