Instrument Panel and SMOKE

CMJAnew

I couldn't find the complete answer to my situation via the search function. Here goes; 90 coupe lost the upper portion of the instrument panel (temp, gas, speedo etc gauges). At the same time my son witnessed "smoke" from the area. Later I witnessed the panel come on correctly, then go out for what seems like the last time. I let him drive the car again without the panel and he witnessed smoke again.

After reading other instrument panel posts I am prepared to shop for the replacement. However, I suspect there may be another issue as well and would like to, if there is, take care of that before losing the replacement as well. ThanksMuch for any input.

The IPC is the most common part to go bad in the '90-91 Reattas and sometimes they do go up in smoke. That just happened to my brother in law about a month ago. Lots of smoke came from that area so he took his IPC out took it apart and couldn't see anything wrong so he proceeded to tear the whole dash out of his car looking for the burn. Had he called me first I could have saved him a lot of effort. When he did call me I went over to his house and at the time we couldn't put a good IPC into his car because the dash was still out but we put his IPC in my car and it did not light up and then after about a minute smoke came rolling from the IPC. A week later he got his car all back together with an IPC I gave him and now everything is back to normal.

I have several Reatta parts cars and have a good IPC available. I can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

About 2 hours from now 25 of us Reatta owners will be making a two lap trip around the Michigan International Speedway.