Keyless entry for an '88

Has anyone tried to put an aftermarket keyless entry or autostart onto an '88. If so, did you do it personally or had a service center do it? Just wondering how complex it would be for this car. Thanks.

RSgrad,<BR>I have a 90 Reatta, and had a viper security system with auto-start feature installed at local stereo/alarm shop. Since the car already had keyless entry and security system<BR>from Buick it was a breeze for the shop to do.They had car for about 1/2 day and cost me about $600.00.<BR>ronvb wink.gif" border="0

I remember When the '89's came out with keyless entry I asked the Buick Dealer that I bought My Reatta from if they could add the keyless entry to my '88, and they told me that they could. That Dealer sold out several years ago and I have transfered my service trade to a GMC dealer here in town who does not sell Buicks. I never had the addition done though. After thinking about it at that time I wanted to keep it original. Since you reminded me of the thought, I may change my mind now. It is so convenient on my La Saber and I'm not quite that finicky about my Reatta anymore and the older I get the more convenience matters<BR>Joe

I have one on my 88. It was on the car when I bought it. It works pretty well most of the time. You have to pay attention though. If you lock the car door before closing and then use the [keyless] to get back in the alarm sounds. You have to use the key first. Another thing is that sometime when you close the door the interior lights flash and the only thing to stop them is to lock and unlock the car with the transmitter. Hard to do when the key is in the steering colume and the motor is running.......k

I'm wondering what the difference is between an aftermarket and the gm device in the 89 and newer? I'm not about to buy one from GM but I might throw in for the transmitters if I can pull a module out of another Reatta at Speedway. It might cure those problems that kennyw has on his '88. That was my main concern, how the original alarm would react. Think I'll drop a line and find out what I would need to pull from the donor car. Thanks for all your help guys.