6 Volt/12 Volt Conversion

Hottrrod

I've recently acquired a 1950 Dodge Coronet, 4Dr, with the [as far as I know] original flathead 6. Due to the cold winters here in Western NY, I'm considering changing to a 12 volt system. Back in the '80s I did this with a 1950 Ford F-1 pickup. Can anyone tell me [possibly step-by-step] how to accomplish the change?

Many thanks to all,

Hottrrod

Unless you want to add 12 volt accessories like CD player and such your Dodge will start just fine on 6 voltgs if you clean up all the connections and make sure the wiring is in good shape. Maybe rebuild the starter if it is tired. They started fine back then and they still will.

I run 6 volt on my 1949 tractor and it starts on the coldest day to plow snow. I run 6 volts in my Crosleys also but they usually get tucked away by the time it gets into the 30s let alone zero and below.

There is nothing wrong with 6 volts as long as the system is in proper shape. I am still running on 6 volts, and have done for 48 years and 390,000 miles. All the way from Manitoba (-55 degrees to +109) through the Okanagan to Vancouver island. My only concession was to install a 6 volt alternator as over half of my driving is at night and the three brush generators couldn't keep up with 52 candlepower headlights.

Guest Ken G

It might be worth pointing out that Mark Shaw's comment is true but he doesn't go far enough. 6 volt cables need four times the area of cross-section, not just twice, in order that the voltage drop be the same fraction as in 12 volt systems.

Ken G, 1925 Rover 16/50 (12 V from new!) (San Francisco)

• 4 weeks later...

Not to mention that you will have problems with guages, lightbulbs, accessories and the like with the change in voltage. On a lot of cars, there is a separate ground strap between the body and frame that most people forget to check. On cars like my '51 Ford with positive ground, the starter motor where it mounts to the bell housing must also be clean if you want a good connection.

Guest Albert

Going to 12V only masks other problems, remember these cars must have been able to start back in the 50's when they where built, or no one would have bought them.. For battery cables make your own from OO welders cable, and solder the ends on..timing and point settings also make a difference here too, anything that is lax will show up on 6V.. If you want to run 12v stuff, you can get inverters to run a radio and such..