What is year of this SS?

Does it have a Stanley builder's plate anywhere on the bodywork. It appears very similar to the Locomobiles built on the Stanley Pattern. The wheels seem to be a smaller diameter than the early Stanleys. The brass Stanley logo could have been added at any time in the past. If a Stanley, no later than 1899. If a Locomobile, no later than 1901. When the Stanleys bought the steam car rights back from Locomobile, they changed the car in 1902. I'm in no way an expert, but in looking through some reference books, this is what I was able to deduce. The book "The Stanley Steamer America's Legendary Steam Car" by Kit Foster is available throught the Stanley Museum. It has many good photographs of the early cars.

Thank you for your reply. With so few entries in this forum compared to some of the others, I wasn't sure anyone looked here. At this point in time I am very ingnorant about Stanley Steamers, so I didn't know to look for a Stanley builder's plate. When I searched the Internet for Stanley Steamers, I did see a couple similar in style and shape to the Locomobiles, which made it difficult for me when I saw the "Stanley" logo on the front of the vehicle in question. All the Locomobiles had no label in front that I could see. Where did Stanley usually place the builder's plate? I reviewed some other close up pictures of this vehicle but could not see anything like a name plate.

Thanks again,

Guest Silverghost

Hello HBergh...

Is this steam car For Sale?

If you are not going to buy it...I would be very interested it buying this car.

I have been looking for steam car now for about six months.

Any help would be appreciated!

Brad Hunter

There is an upcoming auction in Alexis, Illinois on June 30 that will have a 1917 735 Stanley. The primary focus of the auction is steam tractors and the Stanley might go for a reasonable price. There are pictures of the car at www.hilpipre.com their phone number is: 319-235-6007. The number plate on the steam car will be located on the frame. I'm not sure of the location for the older cars. The later cars like my 735B had the serial plate on the left side of the frame below the cowl. It was visible when the burner access door is opened.

Jim Showers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest EMF-Owner

I heard the Stanley from the Alexis sale sold for around $90,000. Did not get any info on the extra parts. My dad left the auction after the Stanley sold.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flackmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for parts, rumor has it The Incredible Hoke was buying. Except for the oil can. THAT is another story.... </div></div>

Do tell, what is the other story?