REATTA in the SNOW

s.zaban

Well guys and gals, just had to tell ya. I was coming home tonite, central Mi. , it was snowing and I stopped for gas.In the taco bell drive through, was the all white 91 reatta convertible in line getting his food. This is the one this guy bought with 9000 miles , he drives it every day. has about 25,000 miles now. Oh yes they SALT the roads in michigan. Just a unique site to see,snow falling and this little white, lites out moving out nicely.

My '88 Red Reatta is my daily driver here in central Mass. Just turned 124,000 mile. Starts with the yurn of the key and does well in the snow with radial snow tires. Rust is not a problem except on the sunroof which I have read was not painted with the rest of the car.<P>Chris

Sunroof...Been there done that.<BR>Fixed, painted and then reinstalled on car. I neutralized the rust by dissolving it with Bill Hirsch Miracle Rust Remover and Metal Prep. A quote from their brochure "WHAT DOES MIRACLE RUST REMOVER AND METAL PREP DO?<P>1. REMOVES RUST BY DISSOLVING IT AND LEAVING TREATED METAL CLEAN AND READY TO PAINT.<P>2. ETCHES METAL PROVIDING A BETTER WORKABLE SURFACE FOR PAINTING.<P>3. INHIBITS FURTHER RUSTING AND GIVES BETTER PAINT ADHESION BY LEAVING A ZINC PHOSPHATE COATING ON TREATED METAL.<P>4. IMPROVES WELDING CONDUCTIVITY.<P>5. REMOVES RUST STAINS FROM NON METALLIC SURFACES SUCH AS FIBERGLASS, CERAMIC, PORCELAIN." <A HREF="http://www.hirschauto.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=27&Product_ID=16&CATID=2" TARGET=_blank>http://www.hirschauto.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=27&Product_ID=16&CATID=2</A> This is a true proven automotive restoration product. Check out the rest of Bill Hirsch's products. <BR>I used about 3 quarts on mine 2 years ago and no additional problems. It worked for me as advertised. I turned the panel over and poured in an inch and a half. This product works best at warmer temperatures. I used a 500watt halogen lamp on for 6 or 7 hours. Monitor the temperature closely add more as it evaporates.<P>When all the rust was dissolved I coated the rusting area with polyester rosin and took the panel to the paint shop.<P>Aside from there being all together too much dust in the paint due to an incompetent paint shop there are no signs of any rust returning. I am happy with the result.<P>The panel was also available new 2 years ago, you will die when you hear the price.<P>Good luck, all in all a relatively easy project. You might even be able to custom match the paint yourself, Robert

Szaban<BR>Thanks for the info. I know the car you are talking about and it was a beauty. Is it still as clean as when he bought it? I know he kept his previous car well maintained and drove it every day. These Reattas' are sure well built!!!

When we first bought the car it was terrible in the snow, this was due to the performance tires that were on it. This year we got a set of new steel rims with new snow tires mounted and balanced from the tire rack for about $450 for all 4 wheels. The snow tires we got were a litle bit narrower and a little bit taller than the originals but it does wonders in the snow now.

For as long as I can remember I have used 4 snow tires mounted on extra rims. As I usually keep my cars a long time I buy stock alloy wheels that have been taken off by the dealer for upgrades. (also available at Tire Rack) The additional performance is huge.<P>They do wear quickly. I usually wait until just before the first snowfall and take them off early spring. Robert

Same here, that's exactly what I do on the Reatta and my old Celebrity. I would have never guessed that putting snow tires all the way around would make that much of a difference on a front wheel drive car, but I'm a firm believer in it now. I'm also a firm believer that no matter what kind of tires you put on an '89 GTA Trans Am it still will never move in a half inch of snow. grin.gif" border="0