Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Zephyr ignition for flathead V/8 parts needed

Hi Guys, a youngster I know is wanting to run a "converted Zephyr Ignition" as we used to call them on his flathead powered '32 Ford roadster. The main part of these conversions was to add to the distributor caps, or the rotor, to make the transition from 12 to 8 cylinders, I have some stock Z parts that he can alter, but I was thinking some of you might have some of these parts that are already altered, and useless for a V-12?? If so, we could save some hard to get Z parts for Z's, and help this guy out, write me at rolf@got.net Thanks

Rolf:

There are a couple easier solutions for flathead V-8. MSD and Philbin Mfg, Portland, OR make solid state breakerless ignitions that replace the V-8 crab style. I've seen the Philbin, I think its called "Flatheads Forever". You friend could also use an 8BA font cover and an aftermarket dual point or solid state regular distributer that fits 49-53 Ford. If you could somehow mount a Lincoln V-12 distributer on a V-8 (I'll be surprised if the holes line up, You'll need to move one set of points, as the Lincoln is 74 degree separation between cylinder banks, and the V-8 is 90 degrees. Naturally, you'd also need a four point rotor and two 4 hole distributer caps. If your friend wants any accessory pullies for power steering, AC, etc, the Lincoln distributer could be in the way.

So far, I haven't seen any similar solutions for the Lincoln V-12. I've theorized that one might take two 8BA covers and weld them together for the 74 degree engine, and use two seperate 6 cylinder distributers. However, that would also put a bunch of wires up front for all to see.

Abe

Thanks Abe, but you really make me laugh, this guy wants to build a prewar '32 Ford hotrod, and he is using all the best old stuff he can get, even 1946 stuff is too new for him, so his deuce will have "Armstrong" steering, and a distributor that is capable of 13,000 RPM, much more than a flathead will ever turn, when folks look at the Z distributor they often ask, "Is that some kind of Magneto??", and believe me, as I ran many converted Z ignitions in my street racing days, they bolt right on to a early Ford timing plate, engage with the Ford cam, the early '50's Hot Rod Magazines often mentioned the Z units, along with Kongs, Spalding's and Harmon and Collins, and a number of other makes that were sold back then, way before 12 Volts, solid states or any of that junk, 6 volts ran some very fast cars just fine, just as they will a LZ. The conversion simply make the 12 cylinders in to 8, by modifiying the dist caps or the rotor, everything else is stock Z, I just hate to chop up some good Z parts for this project, and was hoping someone had some of the conversion parts in a box out in the garage, good luck on your V-12, that should be a sight to see!! Be sure and post a pic when you can

Hey Rolf I have 2 of them already done I kinda want to keep em but your friend could copy mine if that helps him as I'm pretty close tou anyways Take care Dave

FAR OUT Dave, this guy is in North Carolina, but if Skip Haney can set it up right, that is the way he is going to go, I can't imagine you have plans to run 2 Z ignitioned flathead engines in the forseeable future, so lets do some serious trading here and now, OK?? Are they cap altered or rotor altered?

Sounds good, Dave, I wrote one proposal to you off line, but I know you sometimes are slow looking at your e-mails, but an alternative is for you to trade for the Z ignitions he was going to get from me, with Jake rebuilt coils, and lots of cases and extra parts, looking forward to hearing from you, Rolf

Hey check out ebay item Number 200124552397 its got the caps solderd up like we talked about Mine is done different but there is more than one way to skin a cat. Take care Dave

Thanks Dave, message received, and bid is placed with a high max, please nobody bid against me, black41lz, we need this one for this prewar hot-rod, Rolf

SUCCESS!!! We managed to out-snipe the snipers and got this thing for a reasonable price, ($300) it is complete with 2 coils, and should do the trick, thanks for the advice and the interest, Rolf

Rolf I could have made the caps for ya just based on the pics it would be easy. Don't mean to rub it in but I found the caps for one of my distributors a little too late I guess? I still dont get how mine have 4 lobe cams and you still think the LZ 6 lobe cam will work. I believe the timing will be off but let us know how it works Dave

No Dave I don't still think the stock 6 lobe cam is right, they have to be changed to a Ford 4 lobe, I dis-remembered again, a more and more frequent occurence unfortunately. The way the caps are altered that we got is a very sanitary way to do it, looks like they should work just great. Now Johnny, the pre-war hot-rod builder, wants to find a 91T or 99A early Mercury or Ford big truck engine block, he has a 59A block, but of course they are post-war, and I am inspiring him to stay as pure pre-war as possible, he also wants a '41 L OD transmission, he has the trans gears already, of interest to you Dave, he is going to use a '38 LZ dash cluster and clock in this '32 Ford roadster, a trifle unusual to say the least, thanks again, Rolf