90 Coupe radio

tony Largay

largay@erols.com <BR>My 90's radio started to make noises -popping and virtually no output to both front and rear left speakers. Radio repair guy suspects amoplifier, but without tearing car apart, would like to know where it is. <BR>Radio guy also said he had not seen this type of radio before (different connectors than usual GM/Delco) Is there a separate amp?, This is the radio with independent CD in console. Thanks, anybody

Tony,<BR>I took a quick look in 90 manual and saw no seperate amp.The Riv model offers a Bose system with amps on the backs of each speaker. I just had our radio replaced with in dash cd/am/fm unit and installer had no problems.He did have to use an adapter wire kit to mate up with current connectors. Although we did not have optional cd -just cassette.<BR>ronvb cool.gif" border="0

I don't know for sure because i never had the chance to intimately inspect a 90 or 91 Reatta radio, but what I say might be valid for them and of help.<P>I have inspected other GM radios of the era and what I found was that there are two units stacked ontop of one another. Both units are installed into the dash as a single assembly.<P>The upper portion is very similar and exchangable with the 88 89 Reatta radio.<P>The lower portion is the cassette mechanism.<P>The difference that I found in the radio of the other radios of the era was the difference of added features such as quad balance control, AM stereo etc.<P>What I have found to be a common failure in these radios is the six electrolitic capacitors, green in color, mounted under the heatsink, tend to fail causing distortion and crackling/poping noises.

I had a '91 Sedan DeVille radio that had the same problem.... Fixed it by adding an additional stranded # 14 AWG ground wire from the chassis of the radio to the body of the car. May or may not help your problem, but in either case it requires little investment to try.

Actually is a silver box. Looks like a 3/4 size ECM except for the cutout for the heat sink.<P>Have a spare now to see if is cause of the popping/static in mine, is there an easy way to get to it ? (Have not been able to do much with the Reatta lately, too many other fires in the iron).

Thanks for inputs. I'm going to try several easy (read cheap) alternatives such as better ground, fix/clean connectors. This morning, when cold (28 F) the radio worked fine, so I'm inclined to think it's connections - not components. I appreciate the help - and reserve the right to come back to the well.

It seems that speaker connections is a common problem with these cars. I recommend replacing the speakers at this time too. The back ones are super easy. Not sure about a coupe.