Best Oil filter option

Hello,

Any 263 cu straight 8 owners out there who can help me find the best oil filter for my 1953 Buick Special? I've tried Napa (gave them the AC P-127 part number off of the oil filter reservoir decal) and they couldn't find a cross over. What do you all use?

Thanks,

Nathan.

Guest imported_JPIndusi

NAPA Gold 1126 or

go to a truck parts store and ask for Baldwin P26.

Could also call Bob's Automobilia, they have fresh AC's, 805-434-2963.

Joe BCA 33493

Try Advance Auto or AutoZone. They were able to get me a mid 50's GM filter that NAPA could not get or even list and it was actually a AC filter when it came in. Took around 4 days as it wasn't in stock.

Guest imported_JPIndusi

Roadmaster:

Based on my books , yes, since the AC was number P-127, used on all straight eights 49-53. This filter is used with hydraulic valve lifter engines. On these, the oil filter outlet pipe goes to the rocker arm assembly fitting at the front of the cylinder head.

The older solid lifters engines used the AC P-115, on these engines the oil filter outlet went back to the oil sump on the side of the block.

Joe, BCA 33493

I tried AutoZone, along with several other stores, and they cross referenced a FRAM C4P. Although somewhat similar to a AC P-127, these filters are NOT the correct filters for my car. They are just a bit too big around. The Baldwin P26 is the way to go. Perhaps Advance Auto has the right AC filter that you mentioned.

Just an option but there is usually a slew of them at any given time available on eBay in the Vintage Car Parts section. Also, CARS Inc's Buick division at oldbuickparts.com sells them and zillions of other Buick only parts with no shipping charge.

I once heard from someone that using NOS oil filters is a bad idea because the element is old and fragile and won't work as well as an actual new filter. What do you all think about using NOS oil filters from the 50s? Nathan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, CARS Inc's Buick division at oldbuickparts.com sells them and zillions of other Buick only parts with no shipping charge. </div></div>

HUH ???? They are some of the worst on shipping... I swear thats how they make their profit.

There MIGHT be some "shelf life" issues with a NOS oil filter that's that old, I suspect. A newer version would be a better filter, with newer-tech filter media and such . . . as long as it fit correctly.

Use the NOS filter to get the size and then you can get into the "SPECS" section of the filter catalog and look for a newer filter by dimensions and such. THEN you'll have a model to go by at the parts store, too.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

I used to buy NOS filters when I found them at Carlisle however they always seemed semi dirty from sitting around wherever all those years. Even the ones that were in the boxes so I figured the element had to have some dirt in it.

I believe my car took the AC P-115 which was still available through Advance. It is identical to the NOS filter.

Here is a link to the Advance website. I believe they are showing a AC P-115 filter for a 53 Buick Special.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=1&ptset=A&searchfor=Oil+Filter