65 Starfire

Alright, now I'm registered, here's where I need some help. By the way, hello everyone! My uncle has a '65 Starfire he's going to sell. He tells me the fact that it's a 4-speed makes it rather unique. Can anyone get me pointed in the right direction for rarity as he needs to come up with a price.

Thanks for the info 3Jakes. It's not 100% original right now. The engine was built up but currently is running on (7) cylinders because it overheated - shouldn't have used those electric fans without an auto temp sensor setup. Nothing was changed that couldn't be changed back.

Guest BruceW

A quick look at the current online NADA collector car guide http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?L...0034&d=4589 found the following:

1965 Oldsmobile Starfire

320/260hp V8 engine, 4 speed transmission

Low Retail - $8,481

Average Retail - $19,320

High Retail - $29,900

320/315hp V8 engine, 4 speed transmission

Low Retail - $9,219

Average Retail - $21,000

High Retail - $32,500

425/360hp engine, 4 speed transmission

Low Retail - $8,481

Average Retail - $19,320

High Retail - $29,900

425/370hp engine, 4 speed transmission

Low Retail - $8,850

Average Retail - $20,160

High Retail - $31,200

6 cylinder engine, 4 speed transmission

Low Retail - $7,006

Average Retail - $15,960

High Retail - $24,700

According to the guide, the 4 speed added 5% to the base price. The 260hp v8 added 10%, 315hp engine added 20%, 360hp engine added 10% and the 370hp engine added 15% (these percentages are reflected in the above value calculations obtained from the online guide). A/C would add another 5% to each base value.

Not sure how they reflect the actual market.

NADA's appraisel criteria is listed below:

Low Retail Value

This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable "as-is".

Some of the vehicles in this publication could be considered "Daily Drivers" and are not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use the low retail value.

Note: This value does not represent a "parts car".

Average Retail Value

This vehicle would be in good condition overall. It could be an older restoration or a well-maintained original vehicle. Completely operable. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are presentable and serviceable inside and out. A "20-footer".

High Retail Value

This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The interior would be in excellent condition. Note: This value does not represent a "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle *.

* "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle is not driven. It would generally be in a museum or transported in an enclosed trailer to concourse judging and car shows. This type of car would be stored in a climate-regulated facility.

Hope this helps.

Bruce,

Thanks - the Starfire was the top of the line Olds in 1965, replaced in 66 by the Toronado. The 5 per cent bump for a 4 speed is too generic. The full size 4 speed big block cars from early to mid sixties command a premium and when you get to Oldsmobile and Buick in particular - there are rabid loyalists that seek out these cars and pay premiums because of their scarcity. A carefully presented ebay auction should bring $25,000 for a running, driving number 3 car. All Starfires were well equipped and came with the 370 hp 425 motor and these cars were brutes, with forged crankshafts. As I mentioned, originality is crucial, especially with the manual parts.

• 2 years later...
Guest schlitzguzzler

Hi BJM, I have a 1965 Starfire 4speed coupe with a numbers matching 360 hp 425.

I would like to know how many 4speed Starfire coupes were made, I see quite a few converibles out there.

Mine is a cheapo version, no air, vinyl interior, crank windows, but it was ordered with the fancy bolt on wheel covers.

Jim,

This post has morphed more into an informational one. The post looks like it is 3 years old and the AACA search tool has worked again to bring it back up.

The most expert Olds guy I know of on this forum is Joe Padavano (sp) and there is a Buick and overall 4 speed guru that goes by 4 Speed, his name is Matt and he knows a lot of 4 speed production numbers or close proximities.

I'm a generalist so am not in tune with make specifics on 4 speeds in the Starfires. I have been lucky enough to see 3 65 Starfire 4 speeds in person, two still in hiding - and you are correct - they were all convertibles, odd.

Guest petritl

There were more coupe 4spds than convertible 4spds, I believe there were ~120 1965 4spd Olds Starfires in total and was told less than 20 were convertibles.

I sold the following Starfire in the fall of 2008. It was sold to a guy in Tampa, FL who also had a 1965 Starfire conv. with a retrofit 4spd.

PICT0212.jpg

PICT0034.jpg