I need advise. How far to go?

mark6

I have a '63 Riviera which is all orig. 27K doc. miles. A few things needed which I hope I'm doing the right way but to keep it in a "survivor" class, how far should I go as far as replacement parts? It's black ext. and black cloth int.in excellent condition.

With a low mileage original, assuming it has been well cared for and stored indoors, I would replace as little as possible. If you plan to drive and enjoy the car you are going to need to rebuild/replace items like fuel and water pump, master cylinder, rebuild carburetor, and no brainer items like fuel and radiator/heater hoses.

I would proceed using the rationale to replace as little as possible to keep the car reliable. When you do replace or rebuild rebuild try to have your original parts rebuilt as opposed to a replacement. Its hard to believe but the quality of some aftermarket parts leaves a lot to be desired and in some cases may be worse than your original parts. Remember on an original car like this, you may be better off to have parts of the car that show some age (Patina) as opposed to making it new bright and shiny looking.

You will definitely want to do complete service on the brake system such as rebuilding the master cylinder and wheel cylinders.

Guest Gee_Rydes

"Original" cars are becoming the much sought after cars. If the paint is nice, don't repaint to make perfect. If other things are "nice", leave them alone.

Anybody can "restore" a car to make it look brand new if they have enough money, but nobody can make the car "original" again.

It is the original cars that are going to get the really big bucks now and later on. Maintenance issues can certainly be addressed without fear of devaluing, and I would recommend using the parts that a dealer would have used earlier in the car's life if something needs to be fixed.

Take care of it and don't replace anything you don't have to.

Just my 2 cents

Dave