Riviera Convertible Rear Power Window

Guest Rob307

Guest Rob307

HELP!!! On my 1985 Buick Riviera Convertible,

the left rear power window quit.

The motor is fine,

but the driven 'nylon slide/track' gear broke.

This part has been discontinued. Any ideas?

Purchasing the whole rear window assembly would be no problem,

but can't locate that either.

Thanks,

Rob

Guest Ranger

The nylon strip has probably turned yellow and became brittle. This happended to me a few

years ago. I bought a strip for a Chrysler product for under $15 from J.C. Whitney,

I don't have a catalog but last time I checked they still had them. As a side note,

at the time, I called a large used parts dealer in the PHX area, he said he had a

good regulator but that I had to bring a "core" to him. I brought the core with the

broken yellow strip, he went "out back" and returned with a regulator with a new white

strip in it after about an hour and a half. I brought the regulator back to my tech.

who told me that he could tell from the tool marks he'd made on the regulator that it

was the same one he'd pulled from my '85 Riv. Convert, he said the only change was the

plastic strip. I was charged over $250 for this by the used parts dealer and still

have the receipt as a reminder of the greed of some people.

Good Luck,

Autozone, Advance, and O'Reilly's have a "Help" section - all the blister packs have HELP written on them - on their floors. The nylon strip to which you're referring can be found in this section;, just make sure you get the one for a Chrysler.

NOTE: I had a power window motor go bad in my 84 convertible. I took it to a local automotive electrical shop - the kind that rewires starters and alternators - and they rewound the window motor. Cost me $60.00 and it worked like a charm. You don't need to find a replacement.

Guest Rob307

To Jim and Ed,

Thank you SO MUCH for your fast responses

and for the great advice.

I found the part at AUTOZONE.

I was extatic to say the least.

I got the car all back together

and everything is fine.

Sincerely,

Rob

ROA#2060