spectrum

Antique Auto Jack Identification

In looking for the correct jack for my 32 Chevy tool kit I ended up starting

an antique jack collection. This week I came into possession of a collection

of even earlier jacks. Now I need some way to identify my jacks and I was

wondering if anyone knows of a book or papers that I could buy to identify

the jacks in my collection. I have checked most of the major Auto Literature

Sellers without success, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Today I was at a swap meet and saw 3 very old 1920's jacks. On one of my trips to the truck to drop off some parts I fired up the laptop where I have a photo library of jacks with well over 600 examples from the teens to the 1970's. One of the unidentified jacks I saw turned out to be a V12 Packard jack in very nice shape. The price asked was good and I scooped it up...!!!

As to Jack ID Guides, I've looked for examples and found none. I've been selling online since 1999 and out of necessity have created my own visual library. I'd love to find more info as I have a good 3 dozen jacks yet to be identified.

i also have a large (150+) collection of antuque jacks. i am in dire need of finding out any ways to identify them. do anyone here know of any resources or books, literature ect. identifying some of the common ones? also mine are for sale so if you know what yours should look like, let me know and ill see if i have anything matching it

I picked up some odd jacks several years ago, sold all but two or three, but ID'd about half thru ad pix on Ebay and then Googling for the jack co info and other pictures/images of that brand jack.

I have been in the jack repair business for over fifty years and have a lot of old jacks myself,i can try to id hydraulic jacks from photos if you want to try,i have part sheets on a lot as my father started working on them after he retired after WW2

and some of them are dated in the 40s,

Roy

I'm looking for any info on a rare Rees # 220 Jack. I have seen a lot of the square looking Rees Jacks but this one has a round body shape to it.

IMG_20190621_191202.jpg

I would not trust ebay to identify parts.  I have seen to many items listed that are not what the write-up says they are without verification from other sources.

My '30 Pontiac came with a jack like this one with a folding handle.  I would think 33 Chev was similar.  One must realize that the manufacturer would supply the cheapest jack that would do the job.  This is the style jack that I remember seeing neighbours using on their pre war cars in the 40's and early 50's.

images.jpg

163669770586.jpg

Posted (edited)

For a 1932 Chevrolet I would go to the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America forum and ask this question. 

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/forums/1/11929-1932.html

I have seen photos of 1932 jack posted there before and as I recall, it looks nothing like the jack Tinindian posted.

Edited by Vila (see edit history)