Break lights not working

I am having a problem tracking down a problem with my break lights on my 1972 Thunderbird.

When I step on the beaks the lights don't work and if I stand on them they come on but go off almost right away.

Also the backup lights work off and on. If I place the car in reverse and giggle the gear selector they come on but if I touch it at all they go off again.

ALSO, the dash lights flicker on and off.

This has to be an electrical problem but I can not seem to track it down.

I am considering replacing the headlight switch but that may only fix the dash flicker.

Please help.

I would replace the brake light switch and the neutral safety switch might need to be replaced or the linkage adjusted if you have to jiggle the selector to get it to work,the neutral safety and back up light switch are togather and should be mounted on the trans where the shift arm comes out. Jeff

Fords of this vintage are notorious for having very loose indents on the transmission switches--you can start them in many other gears than park and neutral. The trans linkage is pretty loose on them as well. There is also the famous Ford starting procedure of having to put your left arm over the top of the steering column, behind the wheel, grab the shift lever with your hand and pull it all the way counter-clockwise to get the "safety" switch into the right position so that the starter will work. The one gear position you WANT it to start in and that doesn't work without this contortion.

Ahhh, Ford in the 70's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would replace the brake light switch and the neutral safety switch might need to be replaced or the linkage adjusted if you have to jiggle the selector to get it to work,the neutral safety and back up light switch are togather and should be mounted on the trans where the shift arm comes out. Jeff </div></div>

I checked on the two parts and they did not have the neutral safety switch (not surprising) but they did have the break light switch. But, the break light switch comes in three different types, mechanical with spring, a vacuum or hydraulic type and one other he didn't explain. I have the spring I found out so i will see if I can replace it.

This is a little out of my area so please forgive my ignorance. I will try to get the transmission tag off, that may give some clue or just get it to my mechanic. The manuals I have don't go into to much detail so it is hard to understand how to remove it. I know it's a U code so it's a C-6 but other than that...

I was able to find the break light switch in my manual and it is wher I thought it would be, attached to the break peddle. I have no idea how I am going to get it out, it a tight space.

Thanks for all you help,

Mark