Still Having Dash Problems

Hi!<BR> I'm still having dash problems. My speedo is still acting up. I got a new BCM for it, and it was reading a Elec. Error when I hooked it up. Also, I only had the speed light, and the error light. When I put the old one back in, it worked the same way as before. I'm trying to figure what could be the problem. I know this could take awhile to figure out what exactly is wrong. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

A replacement BCM will not have the PROM (Programable Read Only Memory) installed. The PROM goes with the particular car, not BCM. So you will have to remove the small aluminum cover and unplug the PROM from your old BCM and place in the new BCM.<P>The PROM has all the particulars for your car such as mileage, speed computation, instrument panel operation, operation of interior controls such as HVAC (Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning) Radio, CRT, etc. smile.gif" border="0

If your instrument panel cluster ( IPC ) is all black except for the error code where the odometer normally is, it is not your BCM or your ECM but the IPC itself. This is a very common item to go bad in '90-'91 Reattas. Even with the wrong chip in the replacement BCM, the dash should still light up. I have 12 Reatta parts cars and if you need an IPC I have one available.<BR>Jim<P>[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Jim ]<p>[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Jim ]

Possibly just a nit but there are two PROMs in the BCM - a small 2816 that holds your VIN and odo reading and a larger 27C256 that has the program itself. When you pull the cover they are in black "old style" carriers and not a blue one like the ECM. You need both.