dash padding

Guest Randy Berger

Guest Randy Berger

Several years ago I removed the dash padding on my 56 Packard. I scooped it out with a plastic spatula. It was like pancakes soaked in syrup - just a gooey mess. I would like to try to repad it. I've seen a couple of examples but no one gets the contour right. What kind of foam do I need? I've heard I have to use closed-cell foam, but where do I acquire it and what thicknesses does it come in? I had a 56 Packard back in the early sixties and the padding was VERY firm. It seemed as though it was made to hold its shape, not offer any collision protection.

Randy, I once had a conversation about the 1955-56 Packard dash pad(s) with Ed Cunningham, who was the director of interior design at Packard for those models. He told me that the pad was produced in a mold by US Rubber for Packard, outer vinyl cover and all. Just dashes has made a re-pop that looks very good, although I can't say I know the firmness of the "filling". Ideally it would be like the rigid foam used in modern automobiles.

Guest Randy Berger

The outer vinyl cover is stitched together, but I guess they could have put that in the mold. Just Dashes is $800.00 plus. Kepich is doing them for $400.00 or $450.00. I don't need the vinyl cover, just the foam.

Guest bkazmer

I do not suggest you try the original foam process - the skin is put in a mold and back foamed in place. The foam is polyurethane reacted in place from polyol and isocyanate. Don't play with isocyanate. The foam is not rigid - as it ages it can get hard and crumbly, but was somewhat flexible. If you sculpt some harder flexible foam to fit and glue it to both the skin and the retainer, you should be set

Guest Randy Berger

Yes, that's exactly the question I was asking. I know I want to use closed cell foam, but there must be different thicknesses and densities and that is what I am trying to find out.

Guest JDHolmes

I've purchased a dense closed cell foam for use in making arm rest pads and I think this would work very well for dashes as it is quite firm but still can be pressed like foam. Drop me a PM with your addy and I'll send you piece so you can see it. It is very workable if you're going to do it yourself or you can give the info to the person doing the rework. I use a grinder with 3" pad to shape it.

Guest Randy Berger

I sent you a PM, but forgot my email is on my profile - just click on my name, and thank you.

• 4 weeks later...