Sign in to follow this  
imported_Phil Knapp

1939 and 1940 Lincoln Wheels

Here's something I learned from Heinz Schu and Jerry Emery at Santa Maria last November.

1939 and 1940 Lincoln wheels are both 16x4 inches and are interchangeable EXCEPT when mounted as the spare on a 1940 Continental. 1939 wheels have the valve hole approximately in line with one of the hubcap clips. In 1940 (and subsequent years) the valve hole was relocated to be in line with one of the lug holes.

This puts the valve stem straight up on the Continental spare wheel instead of offset.

post-32768-143137933627_thumb.jpg

Is there a difference between 40 and 41 wheels? My 41 cont. cab. build sheet explicilty states "with 1940 wheels".

Thanks,

Scott

1940 Lincoln wheels are 16x4 inches. ONLY 1941 Lincoln wheels are 16x5 inches. 1942 and later wheels are 15x5 inches. All use the "standard" Ford 5 1/2 inch bolt circle. All Lincoln wheels from 1940 on have the valve hole in line with one of the bolt holes.

Phil would that work on a 16X41/2 rim ,

Still can't find any ha!

Bill

I believe that some Ford pickups had 16x4 1/2 inch rims, but I don't think that they had hubcap clips. They had 'snap-in' hubcaps like the 1940-48 Fords. To mount Lincoln hubcaps on these wheels, the protrusions that the hubcaps snap into need to be ground off and hubcap clips need to be installed. Where you find the appropriate hubcap clips these days is anybody's guess. I have used clips off of 1939 Ford wheels in the past, but these are pretty scarce now.

The 8C1015 16" X 4.50" Ford wheel was used on Ford commercials from '45-'47, they used a 51A1130 push in regular Ford hubcap, the clips you were speaking of are the 68 1034, used on '36-'39 Ford passenger and commercial, and the '39-'47 Ford 122" WB 3/4 ton truck, the gospel according to the "Green Bible" ('28-'48 Ford Chassis parts catalog)